Can't duplicate any disk
Quote:You have to duplicate non-INDEX'd disk using SPLICE mode (2 revs is all I use).

Yes that's what I do.

Quote:The gaps in the flux is normal.  There are 3 different bitcell times that make up the encoding for the track.

Ok got it.

Quote:What disk is that picture of?  That's definitely not the disk integrity test result.

This is from track 0 head 0 of my workbench copy.

Quote:You could always use the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator software to read the .scp or .adf image and have it create a .scp image.  That process will rotate the tracks so that they start on the index pulse.  You can then load the .scp image into the copier and click the OVERRIDE button and set the mode to INDEX and proceed to make the disk.

Also tried that and it didn't help.

Quote:Trying doing a disk integrity test and when it errors out, click on IGNORE and let it do a few tracks, and then look at the results.

I can't do this operation as all tracks and heads result in error, so I would have to click IGNORE 160 times!

Pitou!
Are you using high or low density disks? If you are using high density disks, remember to cover the density hole to write low-density data. Also make sure to specify high or low density in the SCP menu.
@SomeGuy,

I tried both low and high density and yes I cover the hole on the high density disk.

About the low/high menu option, is it to specify the kind of drive or the kind of diskette? I mean, if I put a low density disk in a HD drive, should I specify low or high in the menu?
The density is normally set automatically with the disk either having the HD hole or not.  You can force the density to either mode using the pull-down menu.

I didn't want you to do 160 tracks with the media integrity test.  I just need to see just one track to confirm that your drive is actually writing.

Do you have access to any .scp image files?  HxC works perfectly.  You can take any .adf file and convert it to a .scp image and write that to a disk to create a working disk.

You need to figure out why the media integrity test fails.  That needs to pass in order for anything to work!
Quote:The density is normally set automatically with the disk either having the HD hole or not.  You can force the density to either mode using the pull-down menu.

Ok.

Quote:Do you have access to any .scp image files?  HxC works perfectly.  You can take any .adf file and convert it to a .scp image and write that to a disk to create a working disk.

Yes I'm familiar with HxC. I converted one of my SCP to ADF and WinUAE can read both the SCP and ADF files successfully.
However when writing back to a real disk, it doesn't work.

Quote:You need to figure out why the media integrity test fails.  That needs to pass in order for anything to work!

Ok, here are some screenshots for the Media integrity check. As you can see I can really test anything. I have to click "IGNORE" all the time
or "ABANDON" which goes back to the menu.

DD1.jpg and DD2.jpg are from a DD diskette.
HD1.jpg and HD2.jpg are from a HD diskette with the hole covered.

I also get a runtime error on the HD diskette.

Thank you.

Pitou!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I might have narrowed down the issue and found the root cause.

I took a working Amiga gamedisk and wrote the Workbench 1.3 SCP image over that disk.

I booted up the disk and it's still the game that boot not the Workbench!

I took my scope and looked at pins 22 (Write data)  and 24 (Write Gate).

Pin 22 looks fine, I see the signal, however pin 24 (Wgate) is always High. Is that normal?

Could Duey be blown? (I'm sure I didn't connect the cable the wrong way)

What do you think?

Pitou!
I want you to run the media integrity test, starting on track 0, head 0.  Then when that fails, I want you to go to the editor/analyzer and look at the flux data graphically.  Post a picture of that flux display.

The write gate will of course change.  Look at Huey and Duey with a magnifying glass.  If either are blown, there will be surface damage to the chip.
I did the media test on track 0/head 0, clicked "abandon" then went to the Analyzer/Editor and "Read track". Image attached.

Huey and Duey look good. See photo.

I did the test again, writing entire disk and through out all 80 tracks, the Write gate is stuck High.

Pitou!

It seems like you knew that Duey was destroyed (see picture of apparent damage).  Either that, or your drive cable is bad and shorting the write gate.

Every board is hand assembled, programmed, and tested by me.  It has to pass the media integrity before I ship it.

You will need to return your board for replacement.

I didn't know that duey was bad. I just use my scope and followed the trace and discover that.

I know electronics pretty well.

Also the picture is not very clean.
I'll take another one as the chip seems ok

Is this chip a 74ls245 équivalent?
I can replace it myself.

Pitou!

Attached Files
.pdf   sn74abt245b.pdf (Size: 1.52 MB / Downloads: 2)