Striketerm UP9600 freezes with WiModem
I have Striketerm set to Software flow control and it still locks up on me when changing certain settings. In this case, I wanted to change the protocol. I went from Punter to Multi-punter and it froze following that.

Novaterm freezes in the same way, although I seem to have found a way around it by making changes while in terminal mode. Striketerm does not appear to have all of the terminal mode config changes available. There are other behaviors in Striketerm that I find odd but are not related to the WiModem.

Novaterm now has the edge in terms of stability and performance in my tests. I finally found how to set the REU as a download drive:

http://commodoreman.com/Commodore/Librar...nt049.html

Never would I have remembered it would be a letter selection. 

I am going to see how far I can push it by trying Zmodem streaming transfers next.  Smile
Don't be surprised if Zmodem is problematic.  Remember that these protocols were all expecting less than 20ms of latency because the connection was a phone line.  This is an internet device.  So, the latency is determined by the ping time.  That varies from setup to setup and can be hundreds of milliseconds in some cases.  I find the most reliable protocols to be Xmodem-CRC, Xmodem-1K, and Ymodem-1K.
I've been doing good with both XModem and Punter at 9600 so far. My problem with Zmodem is finding a Zmodem-capable BBS that is hosting C64 files. CNet Amiga would be the most obvious choice but the few systems I'm on tend to stick with the Amiga format, naturally. Of course, I could try any file format for a test but getting actual C64 files is preferred as I can actually work with them. ZipCode files are especially good for multi-file transfers.
I am using wimodem on a C64C shortboard. I have been attempting to set the baud rate to 9600 but have experienced many of the issues that other users have encountered in that the software tends to lock up when trying to load the up9600 driver. I did a reset and restarted from the ground up and did succeed in getting the driver to load. However I encountered an unexpected issue. 

I am using Striketerm 2013 at the moment. The keyboard responds while in the main menu with the UP9600 driver loaded. I can switch to terminal mode (F3) and see the 9600 displayed across the top bar of the terminal. However, the software does not respond to the keyboard when I attempt to dial out or enter a command. 

When this happens I am still able to use the F Keys to return to the main menu, the terminal display and the dialer. The dialer responds to keyboard input and I am able to dial from that screen. When the call connects the display flips over to the terminal screen okay but no sign of the active connection at this point as nothing is displayed and the software is unresponsive to keyboard input. 

I can disconnect from the main menu by selecting F1 and then pressing the * key. The display resets with "online" changing to "offline" and the modem displaying the correct color. I did reverse the xon/xoff settings as suggested in a previous post. I find that driver will load if flow control is set to "none" or "hardware". The UP9600 driver will not load with flow control set to "software". Is there any reason why the software should fail to respond to input when in terminal mode?
StrikeTerm has a bug where the handshaking is backwards. You need to set it to Xon/Xoff instead of RTS/CTS.
(10-08-2020, 09:51 AM)admin Wrote: StrikeTerm has a bug where the handshaking is backwards.  You need to set it to Xon/Xoff instead of RTS/CTS.
I thought I had done that. By default flow control is set for none and the xon/xoff characters are inverse of what they should be so enabling flow control and reversing the xon/xoff characters does not accomplish this?
You can select RTS/CTS, which is what *should* be required when the flow control is enabled with the WiModem using AT&K1. However, due to bug in StrikeTerm, you need to set the flow control to Xon/Xoff which really uses RTS/CTS instead.
(10-08-2020, 11:08 AM)admin Wrote: You can select RTS/CTS, which is what *should* be required when the flow control is enabled with the WiModem using AT&K1.  However, due to bug in StrikeTerm, you need to set the flow control to Xon/Xoff which really uses RTS/CTS instead.
Thank you for the quick response. I enabled flow control and this is how I came to achieve the results that I am now reporting.
Please see this information on details on how to use StrikeTerm with the UP9600 hack enabled:

https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=318
(10-08-2020, 03:26 PM)admin Wrote: Please see this information on details on how to use StrikeTerm with the UP9600 hack enabled:

https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=318
Thank  you for your response. I checked out the thread that you referenced for me. I have already read through it. I read through it again and tried one more time. It doesn't work no matter the procedure or process used. I can get the UP9600 driver to load at 2400 baud and at 9600 baud but once the UP9600 driver is loaded the software stops responding to the keyboard. 

Example: One user reported success with Striketerm 2014 final by loading the UP9600 driver with baud rate set at 2400. He then issued the command AT*B9600. After that he changed the baud setting to 9600 and saved the configuration. He reported that it worked like a charm. 

I tried it. It didn't work for me. Once the UP9600 driver loaded the keyboard input to the terminal output only a character resembling an upper case C even though the baud rate was set at 2400 as described in that thread. This was using an ANSI terminal. In the Commodore terminal I simply do not have any response from keyboard input.

EDIT:

I removed the sd card from my pi1541 drive and deleted the copies of striketerm. I then grabbed fresh downloads and placed them on the sd card.

I reset the modem. I loaded Striketerm 2013 Final. It loads with the Winvice modem. I set the baud rate to 300. I changed the modem to UP9600 and opened an ANSI terminal. I went through the initial setup process again setting up the modem at 300 baud. 

I invoked AT*B2400(return) in the terminal then changed the baud rate in the main menu screen to 2400. I connected with a favorite BBS to make sure that everything was good to that point.

After logging off I invoked AT*B9600(return) in the terminal and then changed the baud rate in the main menu screen to 9600.

I changed back to the ANSI terminal to 9600 displayed in the top bar. I invoked AT*T1(return) and then dialed up tty.sdf.org. I successfully connected at 9600 baud.

Thank you very much for your patience with me. I appreciate it greatly. I knew that a user in the thread you referenced had been successful with a previous version of Striketerm by changing to 2400 baud first but it took me going back to step one and walking all the way through it to be successful.