C64 disk image FTP or search of .scp images
(03-04-2014, 07:14 AM)admin Wrote: Exactly. There really is no need because the odds of something being bad are extremely low.

I think he was being sarcastic. Smile The original premise of this thread is that original disks do go bad. Personally, I'd like to know that the original is bad.

@wirefall - of course I understand, and we're just talking about old software here; everyone can do whatever they wish! But, I'll leave you with one thought for your scenario: if all you want to do is use an original program from disk, if you've gotten an error-free copy from somewhere, why do you need to run it from and original disk? Just make a backup of the good image on a blank, and use it. Gives you the best of both worlds...

But, truly, to each his own. I just hope people will consider some of the options before rewriting originals, and, if you do, mark them as such.

Cheers, all!
Robert
I agree... image the disk and put the original away. When you want to use the disk, just make a copy from the image. It takes less than 30 seconds to do that and you don't need hundreds of backup disks laying around.
@ Robert: That is all true, but: I do have three not loading floppies with old Mac pro sound apps and I have been looking for about 10 years now for another working copy of these apps, the exactly version I need. Believe me, I am really good in finding rare stuff and know where to ask and look, but no success with these apps (which are copy protected and work with key authorization).

So Jims efforts are my last hope so far and I really wish to get these floppies rescued. Smile
(03-04-2014, 11:38 AM)wirefall Wrote: @ Robert: That is all true, but: I do have three not loading floppies with old Mac pro sound apps and I have been looking for about 10 years now for another working copy of these apps, the exactly version I need. Believe me, I am really good in finding rare stuff and know where to ask and look, but no success with these apps (which are copy protected and work with key authorization).

So Jims efforts are my last hope so far and I really wish to get these floppies rescued. Smile

Sure, I get that. But, once you've got a good copy, there's no need to write it back to the original disk!

Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
Robert
Quote:I think he was being sarcastic. The original premise of this thread is that original disks do go bad. Personally, I'd like to know that the original is bad.
Correct. I want to image my disks to make sure i still have the content when the disk goes bad. For that an image of which i don't know whether it is 100% or not is about 100% useless to me. And i don't have the time to extensively play and test the backups for that matter Smile
You don't even own a SuperCard Pro, and I am not even sure you have a Kryoflux....
aha. did your crystal ball tell you that? but lets say you are right, how does it invalidate the point?
You have no say if you are not a customer. Smile
aha. lets assume again your crystal ball works ok, why would i become one when that means i need to spend a lifetime testing my backups to make sure they work? lol
Fortunately, the product can correct data as part of the writing process, be that to disk or to an emulator file (like .g64). So, there is no need to spend any time testing. There is already a checker for Atari ST disks, and there will be one for Amiga and C64 disks shortly too. So, then there will be no mystery.