Video after new build
I recently assembled an ICS64, and it powers up and dead test will perform test with audio but image is black and white as seen in screenshot. I have swapped Sram to no avail. I also removed sram and image is the same. any suggestions?

I have tried to include an image to no avail as well. It keeps saying image is larger than 500 kilobytes?

Thanks in Advance,
Byron
Sorry about that! I didn't know there was a file size limit you could set. The default was 500KB. I have changed this to 4MB now.

Please post the picture as there is no way to know what the issue might be from the description. ALL of the video circuitry is contained in the IC's around the VIC-II chip.
(08-19-2022, 02:42 AM)aircraftmech123@gmail.com Wrote: I recently assembled an ICS64, and it powers up and dead test will perform test with audio but image is black and white as seen in screenshot. I have swapped Sram to no avail. I also removed sram and image is the same. any suggestions?

I have tried to include an image to no avail as well. It keeps saying image is larger than 500 kilobytes?

Thanks in Advance,
Byron

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's a clock issue. That would be something to do with the crystal, but more likely either a solder bridge on a pin (or bad chip) associated with the U29, U30, U31, or U32. It could also be Q7 installed backwards I suppose.

What monitor are you trying to use? Is this PAL or NTSC?
(08-19-2022, 07:35 PM)admin Wrote: That's a clock issue.  That would be something to do with the crystal, but more likely either a solder bridge on a pin (or bad chip) associated with the U29, U30, U31, or U32.  It could also be Q7 installed backwards I suppose.

What monitor are you trying to use? Is this PAL or NTSC?

NTSC, i had it hooked to a 32" color tv
Are you sure that your TV will handle video from a C64? This could be an issue with the TV's composite not syncing.
(08-20-2022, 03:01 AM)admin Wrote: Are you sure that your TV will handle video from a C64?  This could be an issue with the TV's composite not syncing.

I tried a good known monitor and it detects signal but wont even display. I have used a c64 with both. I checked voltages again with all chips installed-checked good. i have swapped chips to no avail. Does the crystal need to be grounded? I have it installed as the illustrations show, but never saw it grounded.
No, you don't need to ground the crystal.

By swapping chips, do you mean that you swapped chips with a known working C64? If so, I would recommend that you look at your solder joints. Also, make sure that you didn't splash solder anywhere near the surface mount video circuitry.