Copying an Apple II disk?
There is no "port". SCP does not appear as a COM device, it's a USB device.
I figured it out...kind of.

I understand that SCP is a USB device, but a8rawconv uses the COM port to talk to it.  In the driver for the FTDI chip you are using on the SCP there is an option (at least in Windows 10), to enable VCP (Virtual Com Port).  By default this is not set, and until you go into device manager, find the correct USB device for the SCP card, and enable this option, a8rawconv can not talk to the card.  Checking this option causes the FTDI chip to also load a driver as a COM port, in my case COM3, and then a8 can find the card and talk to it.

I can now talk to the card using a8.  I have made images of 2 disks from the drive attached to the SCP and used them in an emulator, so I know that part is working, now I just need to figure out how to get it back onto a floppy disk.

I will update this post as I get things working with my Apple disks, so that hopefully it will help any other users having the same problems.

Bill
Bill-Tek Electronics:
Getting back to where I started...Sort Of.
Hmmm, I thought a8rawconv used the FTDI driver, not a COM port. I do have the VCP enabled on my system, but the SCP boards have that disabled in the FDTI chip.
As I understand it, A8 uses the FTDI driver, but uses the VCP Port to locate the board.  If you do not have this enabled in the driver, it errors out saying that it can not auto detect the board.  I am still unable to create a working disk for my Apple ][ or my Kaypro systems.  I can read disks and use them in an emulator, but can not seem to get working media.  I have used 3 different drives 2 X 48 TPI and 1 X 96 TPI, and now have some "New" 360K floppies - New Old Stock in sealed boxes.  I tried a couple of them and still no luck creating working disks, even though they pass the media test in SCP software.

I am going to take a "Mental Break" from this for a few days, and concentrate my free time on refurbishing a "Black" Apple ][ that I plan to sell to help finance my other vintage projects.  Maybe a few days away from this will give me the inspiration that I need to get this working.  I am quite confident that it is not a hardware problem with the card, but either a software, or even more likely user error.  I will update the post when I have further news on progress or lack there-of.

Thanks again,
Bill
Bill-Tek Electronics:
Kaypro disks require INDEX mode. The same method is also used for CP/M, IBM, TRS-80, Atari 8 bit, etc. formats.

This may sound odd, but can you create an image with a8rawconv, write it back to disk, and successfully create a working image from that copy?

You can always send me an image of a disk you tried to create and I can look at the flux data to tell you what's wrong from a flux standpoint. Images can be sent to data@cbmstuff.com
Thanks for your help Jim!

With the information that you sent back about the image, I did a bit more playing today. It seems that my "new" 48 TPI drive simply does not like apple format disks, and that the original apple system master disk I was using for testing is simply week. Using my Kaypro drive (Full height, SSDD, 48 TPI) I have been able to get apple images working, and using the Teac 54B, I can get TRS-80 disks to work. All this was done after cleaning the heads, as you suggested, only I user a cotton swab and 99% Isopropyl, as that is the way I did it back in the 80's.

So now I just need to get ADTPro working again, so I can create some "new" disks (backups) of my week and tired old originals.

Much thanks again!
Glad you got it working. You can always look at the flux graphically like I showed you via email.

The issue could be with your drive's alignment or the disk (if not an original produced by a duplication machine) could have been produced on a drive that was out of alignment.
(03-15-2017, 07:16 PM)admin Wrote: Glad you got it working. You can always look at the flux graphically like I showed you via email.

The issue could be with your drive's alignment or the disk (if not an original produced by a duplication machine) could have been produced on a drive that was out of alignment.

I was thinking it could be alignment.  Don't suppose you know where a guy could get his hands on an analog alignment disk?  As I mentioned in my e-mail, I have a bunch of computers that need attention, and even more drives.  I could dust of the old 'scope and do alignments on them while I clean them up.  I got rid of my AAD about 20 years ago, and it would probably be no good any more anyway.  Accurate still has a web site, but I doubt that they are still shipping these.  Anyway, if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a good condition AAD, I would greatly appreciate it!
Bill-Tek Electronics:
Accurite and Dysan are *still* selling these! I got one of each a couple of years ago.
If you could point me to a source of disks I would be great full. Accurite's website looks terribly out of date, and they also say they are not shipping to my region at this time (Canada).  I simply can not find anybody that sells the Dysan product.  Google search brings up many more results for Dyson, but I don't need another vacuum!  Even if you were able to source one and sell it to me, with compensation for your time, that would be a consideration.

Thanks again,
Bill
Bill-Tek Electronics: