CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: Copying an Apple II disk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

I figured I would give the SCP a try at copying an Apple II disk. The original game is Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego. I chose the Apple II option and it did read the first side. I went to write it back to a blank disk, but once i try to even boot it off my Apple IIGS, nothing. I figured I would try a plain non protected bootable Apple II disk i had, and same results...

Can SCP copy Apple II disks as of now or is that something in the works?

Thanks for any help or input on this. Smile
ANY disk can be duplicated because all SCP does it work with flux data. The only magic to getting a disk to work is framing the start/end of the track so that the write splice does not appear in the middle of a valid sector. If you use a disk analyzer, you will likely find that the disk copy you made has one bad sector on most tracks because the write splice is not in the correct location. If the disk was created using a commercial duplicator, then the INDEX mode can be used to duplicate disks. I have done this with the Atarisoft titles like Joust, Defender, DigDug, etc. Much like the C64, the Apple II did not use the index mark (or even have an index sensor from what I recall), so disks that you create yourself are not index'd and therefore will not work with INDEX mode. The SPLICE routine has a very basic (non-Apple II specific) routine for determining the write splice and probably will not work in many cases. I have not really spent much time with the Apple stuff to try to automate it. Of course, you can manually copy every track (by track) using the editor/analyzer and frame the data correctly. It's a pain, but is absolutely 100% successful. I will work on the 5.25" format again in the coming months.
Thank you very much for clearing it up. Smile Keep up the good work!
Is there any documentation on the procedure for creating a flux image from original Apple ][ disks and then writing that image to a new disk?
Copy the disk as a C64 disk. That's it.
Copy the Apple ][ disk as a C64/128 flux image? Can that flux image then be written back to a new disk?
Yes, of course! The only thing that the disk type selection does is fill in the number of tracks, number of heads, and the step rate (every track or every other track, when using a 96TPI drive). The copying process for every disk is exactly the same.
Hi,

Did anyone ever get this working - the threads just seem to end without anyone saying that the got it to work, and how they did it.  I have spent the afternoon trying to duplicate my Apple DOS System Master disk with no luck.  These are the steps I have taken:

Using 48TPI Drive:
Disk to Disk copy using Apple ][ setting in SCP Software - No luck - the software seemed to double step, even though I told it I had a 48TPI drive attached, and ended up hitting the end stop before getting even close to reading (after Track 21) all the tracks.
Disk to Disk copy using C64 Splice (2 revolutions) - Read all tracks, wrote out all tracks to the disk, but disk will not boot in the apple
Disk to Disk copy using C64 Index - Read / Write - no boot

Go back to apple and copy the original to the destination floppy, just to make sure the media is OK - works perfectly

Using 96 TPI drive
Disk to Disk copy using Apple ][ settings in SCP - Read / Write - will not boot on the apple
Disk to Disk copy using C64, Half Tracks Splice (2 Revolutions) - Read / Write - will not boot
Disk to Disk copy using C64 settings, Half Tracks, Index - Still will not boot

Anything else to try?

Thanks,
Bill
You can copy the disks with SCP's software but most people are using a8rawconv, which is a program that uses the SCP hardware specifically for Atari 400/800, Apple ][, and Apple Mac 400/800K disks.

Have you verified that your drive is working? You could run the media integrity test to determine if everything is working correctly.
(03-12-2017, 04:24 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]You can copy the disks with SCP's software but most people are using a8rawconv, which is a program that uses the SCP hardware specifically for Atari 400/800, Apple ][, and Apple Mac 400/800K disks.

Have you verified that your drive is working?  You could run the media integrity test to determine if everything is working correctly.

Thanks again for the quick response.  I will try to figure out A8rawconv, as I know my drive is working - I created some TRS-80 disks with it, and media test works as well.  Probably not the correct thread, but last time I tried a8rawconv it said it could not autodetect the port that my SCP card is on, and I don't know where to find that, as it does not seem to show up in device manager on my win10 machine.  Any pointers on that one?

Thanks again for an amazing product and for your quick response to my question!

Bill
Pages: 1 2 3