Using WiModem232 with TCP/IP stack?
I'm wondering if the WiModem232 can be used to connect to the Internet on an Amiga using a TCP/IP stack (Genesis, AmiTCP, Roadshow, etc) so the Amiga can be fully "online" to use web browsers and other tools?  If it looks like a regular modem to the Amiga, is there a way to configure it like a PPP dialup connection?  If so, this would be a giant boon for anyone that can't afford a network card yet still wants to get their Amiga online.
You should be able to use a SLIP setup, since that uses a regular dial-up modem.
(01-06-2018, 01:02 PM)Frogking Wrote: I'm wondering if the WiModem232 can be used to connect to the Internet on an Amiga using a TCP/IP stack (Genesis, AmiTCP, Roadshow, etc) so the Amiga can be fully "online" to use web browsers and other tools?  If it looks like a regular modem to the Amiga, is there a way to configure it like a PPP dialup connection?  If so, this would be a giant boon for anyone that can't afford a network card yet still wants to get their Amiga online.

I did this with minimig/roadshow on my MIST board connected to an old raspberry pi I had lying around following the instructions here :

http://lallafa.de/blog/2013/11/networkin...-roadshow/

i realise its not the same as using the wimodem and I'm not sure how you would do the ATDT (Gateway) but that post is a good resource for getting the Roadshow/PPP side configured.

Hope it helps.
The Workshop -  http://home.reidspace.com/ 

(01-06-2018, 01:02 PM)Frogking Wrote: I'm wondering if the WiModem232 can be used to connect to the Internet on an Amiga using a TCP/IP stack (Genesis, AmiTCP, Roadshow, etc) so the Amiga can be fully "online" to use web browsers and other tools?  If it looks like a regular modem to the Amiga, is there a way to configure it like a PPP dialup connection?  If so, this would be a giant boon for anyone that can't afford a network card yet still wants to get their Amiga online.

That's what I've been trying to do on and off for a few weeks now.

I have an Amiga 2000 (with '030 card) running TermiteTCP, TermiteTelnet, and have IBrowse for browsing.  This was my exact set up as it was 20 years ago that worked fine when calling into work and logging into a CHAP/PPP session when using a US Robotics Sportster modem.

Now I've created a Linux droplet on DigitalOcean where I have a special login that starts the pppd daemon.  I've gotten far enough that I can get TermiteTCP to successfully initiate a PPP session and then I can start running TermiteTelnet to allow me to login to servers on the 'net via a successful DNS lookup and running Telnet over the TCP/IP connection (which is running over PPP running over telnet running over the Wimodem232  Smile ).  However, it isn't fully working yet.  At some point the Telnet sessions always hang in various repeatable ways, and I also haven't been able to get IBrowse to load and display a page yet.  I'm currently studying the PPP logs of the bytes exchanged to find out what is happening when the sessions hang.
(04-01-2018, 01:25 PM)qbarnes Wrote: Now I've created a Linux droplet on DigitalOcean where I have a special login that starts the pppd daemon.  I've gotten far enough that I can get TermiteTCP to successfully initiate a PPP session and then I can start running TermiteTelnet to allow me to login to servers on the 'net via a successful DNS lookup and running Telnet over the TCP/IP connection (which is running over PPP running over telnet running over the Wimodem232  Smile ).  However, it isn't fully working yet.  At some point the Telnet sessions always hang in various repeatable ways, and I also haven't been able to get IBrowse to load and display a page yet.  I'm currently studying the PPP logs of the bytes exchanged to find out what is happening when the sessions hang.

In the last few days, I've made more progress.  I found out the source of the hang is that for some reason the two byte sequence 0x0d 0x00 is getting turned into a single byte sequence of 0x0d.  I don't know why that is happening or what is responsible, but once I added 0x0d to PPP's escape sequence, that solved all the hangs I had been seeing.  I'm able now to pump as much data as I'd like through the PPP connection without hangs.  My PPP server is configured now with "asyncmap 200a2000 escape 0d,11,13,1d,ff".  I don't know if that's optimal yet, but it 's functional.  I'm able to load http pages in IBrowse, abet very slowly.

However, all is not happy.  The networking throughput is about at 1/3 of what it should be.  I'm seeing a lot of duplicate ACKs and packet retransmissions.  I need to track down what's causing that next.
Sounds like progress! Once you get this going, you can try increasing the baud rate of the WiModem232 to 115200 and use BaudBandit.device for the serial driver (assuming you are using an Amiga).
(04-11-2018, 03:14 PM)admin Wrote: Sounds like progress!  Once you get this going, you can try increasing the baud rate of the WiModem232 to 115200 and use BaudBandit.device for the serial driver (assuming you are using an Amiga).

Hi Folks,

Did anyone get their Amiga and WiMODEM and Roadshow to talk to the internet, and if so, can I ask how - sounds like you needed an intermediary, like a Raspberry pi?

I am using OS 3.2, and can successfully use serial.device at 115200 in an Amiga 1000 with a Terriblefire 536 installed.  No need for baudbandit, or 8n1 replacements!

I am using Ncomm, and conenct via telnet to BBS's no worries, but if it's possible to use a SLIP device and get net access, then we can use UHCTools or even IBrowse through the WiMODEM, which would be even more awesome!

Any tips?
I need to look into this. I know that you can use a real modem with a SLIP connection. That would be the exact same setup for use with the WiModem232.