Trying to connect WiModem to Ubiquity AP-LR
Well... So I read through the WiModem manual.  I have also read throught the comments on this forum.  At first I was unable to get anything.  Until I tried Strikerterminal 2014.  Then I found an older version of CCGMS (2001) that seems to work. 

-I was finally able to get ati to work and got the WiModem to talk back.

-I was still unable to get network information.

-Then I found in the forums that I sould do WPA2 TKIP only.

-At this point I was able to see the availible networks ... oddly enough I wasn't able to see other networks before I change to WPA2 TKIP -  even though those were still around and I didn't change them (because they belong to other people in the area)

- So now I am trying to get connected to my network.. so far no luck

- I also tried another Wireless AP.   Still no luck (Cisco Linksys AP)

So now I am lost as to what to do next... the signal to the Ubiquity and Cisco stay around 47 - 58.  So I don't think it has to do with Signal.  I can connect laptop, phones and tablets to the Ubiquity just fine, but not my C64c with the WiModem.

Any help would be appreciated...

-SF-
One thing about the WiModem setup that is not apparent I think; WiModem when reset by power cycling the computer reverts back to 2400baud.  Whatever terminal program you are using, ensure you have set the baud rate to match, then start issuing commands.  I always send an ATI to get the current config and make sure I'm talking ok.  I've found great help with a Super Snapshot cartridge because it has Snapterm embedded and if I ever need to make changes to the WiModem I can jump out and back into what I was doing.

In any case, have you tried with the ATWPS setting?  Surely those routers have WiFi Protected Setup buttons on them?  I have an Asus router, worked like a charm.
WPA2 TKIP is the most common protocol for encryption, but it has nothing to do with seeing what is available.  All routers that are allowed to broadcast their availability should always been shown when you do a scan of the network (AT*N).

If you know your router name and password, you can just enter it.  The old version of CCGMS does not support 2400 baud correctly, so be aware of that.  Once you have a terminal program that works, go into ASCII mode (not CBM graphics mode) and type:

AT*SSID routername,password <return>

routername = the name of your router, case dependent
password = your password (sometimes called passphrase), case dependent
<return> is the return (or enter) key

Case dependent means just that - you must use the exact same case the names.  So, if your router name is MyRouter, then you need to capitalize the M and R.  If you don't the router will not be found!  Prior to the v1.8 firmware, the AT*SSID had to be all upper case or it would not find the router.  Of course, using the WPS function is the easiest way to setup your router!

The WiModem restores whatever baud rate was saved last, using the AT&W command.  You could set the baud rate to be 1200 baud or 9600, use AT&W and when you power off and back on, that baud rate will be the default.
(03-16-2017, 06:03 AM)Digital Man Wrote: One thing about the WiModem setup that is not apparent I think; WiModem when reset by power cycling the computer reverts back to 2400baud.  Whatever terminal program you are using, ensure you have set the baud rate to match, then start issuing commands.  I always send an ATI to get the current config and make sure I'm talking ok.  I've found great help with a Super Snapshot cartridge because it has Snapterm embedded and if I ever need to make changes to the WiModem I can jump out and back into what I was doing.

In any case, have you tried with the ATWPS setting?  Surely those routers have WiFi Protected Setup buttons on them?  I have an Asus router, worked like a charm.

Digital Man - thanks so much for your reply.  I will have to check in to the Super Snapshot, haven't seen or heard about that one till now. Sounds like a great tool.  Will Wimodem and my C64c not function at 2400bos?  Do I need to set it at a higher rate?  Unfortuantely my Ubiquity AP-LP doesn't come with a WPS button on it. (so that will not work for me) but thanks for raising that thought process.

-SF-
(03-16-2017, 09:00 AM)admin Wrote: WPA2 TKIP is the most common protocol for encryption, but it has nothing to do with seeing what is available.  All routers that are allowed to broadcast their availability should always been shown when you do a scan of the network (AT*N).

If you know your router name and password, you can just enter it.  The old version of CCGMS does not support 2400 baud correctly, so be aware of that.  Once you have a terminal program that works, go into ASCII mode (not CBM graphics mode) and type:

AT*SSID routername,password <return>

routername = the name of your router, case dependent
password = your password (sometimes called passphrase), case dependent
<return> is the return (or enter) key

Case dependent means just that - you must use the exact same case the names.  So, if your router name is MyRouter, then you need to capitalize the M and R.  If you don't the router will not be found!  Prior to the v1.8 firmware, the AT*SSID had to be all upper case or it would not find the router.  Of course, using the WPS function is the easiest way to setup your router!

The WiModem restores whatever baud rate was saved last, using the AT&W command.  You could set the baud rate to be 1200 baud or 9600, use AT&W and when you power off and back on, that baud rate will be the default.

admin --- Maybe it is CCGMS 2400bos not working then?  Can I lower it to 300bps or 1200bps... believe it or not I hope so -- want to show my kids what it was like back in the 80's  Big Grin ?

So,, I have read the manual.  I have succesfully ATI --- this gave me the information of the WiModem.  I have successfully done a AT*N -- This gave me the availible networks in my area (usually was around 4 -- 2 of which where mine)

I understand Case Sensitive (case dependent as you refer too) but I apprecate you explaining it just incase -- it will help other who run in to these issues.

OHHH!! really.. that may be it then... I do have a WiModem that has Firmware 1.7 ... I will test mine by capitalizing AT*SSID then... odd thing is it seems to work when I do type: ati  or at*n  (lower case - just fyi)

Well... you guys gave given me some ammo to try out... I will update you with my progress...  

Thanks so much,

-SF-
Correct, the AT*SSID and AT*NS portions of these AT commands have to be capitalized with v1.7 and earlier firmware.
(03-16-2017, 08:10 PM)admin Wrote: Correct, the AT*SSID and AT*NS portions of these AT commands have to be capitalized with v1.7 and earlier firmware.

Can you or anyone tell me the best terminal(s) to use, version(s) to use, and place or link to download from?  The ones I have are not working like I would expect them too. Maybe that is the real issue?  I really want to get this wimodem working!

Thanks,
-SF-
(03-20-2017, 04:26 PM)Shadowfire Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 08:10 PM)admin Wrote: Correct, the AT*SSID and AT*NS portions of these AT commands have to be capitalized with v1.7 and earlier firmware.

Can you or anyone tell me the best terminal(s) to use, version(s) to use, and place or link to download from?  The ones I have are not working like I would expect them too. Maybe that is the real issue?  I really want to get this wimodem working!

Thanks,
-SF-

I'm using Desterm 2.0 for the C128.  For C64 I think Novaterm is best.
CCGMS 2017 with mods by Alwyz is the best for the C64 if you don't need 80 column support.

You can find it here:

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=152620
(03-21-2017, 07:51 AM)admin Wrote: CCGMS 2017 with mods by Alwyz is the best for the C64 if you don't need 80 column support.

You can find it here:

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=152620

What about the best that supports Zmodem for transferring?  CCGMS only has Xmodem and Punter.