Trouble connecting to router
Have a setup with google wifi's mesh router (Very very nice - with almost no advanced controls which right now I am very much missing) 

Sadly it does not support push to setup (wps)

It only supports WPA2 PSK as far as I can determine.

From Strike term or CCGS I can communicate with the modem fine 
ATI shows the proper ssid 

I perform a AT*NS0,<password> (No special chars - I have changed pw to all lower case and all alpha for testing purposes)

I get 'no router located' as a return message, yet the SSID updates in ATI to reflect the chosen SSID

Wish there was a way to get the actual error message - but if I was going to guess I'm thinking it's failing to authenticate with the router.

Any suggestions on what I might do or try next?

Muchas!
Brian
I do test every single WiModem by hand, and connect to my router just to make sure that they all work before being shipped.  All encryption methods are suppose to be supported by the ESP8266.  I have tested no encryption, PSK, and TKIP.

Instead of using AT*N option, did you try the normal AT*SSID name,password ??
(02-24-2017, 07:18 PM)admin Wrote: I do test every single WiModem by hand, and connect to my router must to make sure that they all work before being shipped.  All encryption methods are suppose to be supported by the ESP8266.  I have tested no encryption, PSK, and TKIP.

Instead of using AT*N option, did you try the normal AT*SSID name,password ??

Yeah I've tried it both ways supplying the SSID and by supplying the number.
I kinda doubt the hardware itself is at fault - especially since ATI shows it connected to the proper SSID
Looks like the radios are working since it properly enumerates the visible SSID's and seems to try and authenticate.

I'm thinking it's something to do with Googles Implementation, or something similar along those lines.  But short of trying to set up a wifi sniffer (which I havn't done in years - so hello learning curve)  I has hoping there might be something stupid I overlooked.

I'll keep playing with it.
B
What model router is this? Perhaps I should get one to play with.
FYI, I was also only successful connecting to my wifi through the wps push button method. 
I have an AVM Fritz Box, as my wifi access point.
If you are interested, I will try connecting to my phones wifi.
(02-24-2017, 09:50 PM)admin Wrote: What model router is this?  Perhaps I should get one to play with.

I have the new Google Wifi (replacement for onHub)  not sure who the OEM is - onHub was made by Asus for one revision and TPLink for another I believe - but not sure about Google Wifi, google has been doing more and more of their own device manufacturing of late.

It setups a very reliable mesh network.  Even though my house isn't huge, I still had problems with signal dropout, and coverage. All my signal strength issues, dropouts, etc have gone away and my usable bandwidth over wifi is so much better now - you trade off advanced configuration, port mapping/forwarding etc - but those are things that I have seldom used in the last few years given how adaptive most consumer electronics have become (not like the old days when you had to map ports for Xbox Live, team speak, etc) .  This is the first time I have regretted not having something more flexible to work with.  That said - I absolutely love the router on the whole.

https://smile.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-sys...Bwifi&th=1
(02-25-2017, 01:54 AM)captain_zzap Wrote: FYI, I was also only successful connecting to my wifi through the wps push button method. 

That's a great idea.  I've got tethering on my phone.  Maybe I can use that as a workaround, until this all gets sorted.
(02-25-2017, 08:33 AM)briansallee Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 01:54 AM)captain_zzap Wrote: FYI, I was also only successful connecting to my wifi through the wps push button method. 

That's a great idea.  I've got tethering on my phone.  Maybe I can use that as a workaround, until this all gets sorted.

So I setup tethering.  The options for security were none and wpa2.
I was able to connect outbound when I setup the AP with no security.
However when setting it up as wpa2, i could not connect.

Maybe I will dig around a bit and see if there are any know issues with wpa2 and the esp8266 (https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2038 - looks like he might have been on the same path but sadly he was unable to reproduce due to hardware change).
Looking at the comments on Amazon, it appears that many people are having this issue (with other WiFi products) and there is no WPS button.
I have since hooked up an TP-link/Archer C9 and a Netgear WNHDE111 Bridge/AP
Neither work when using AT*NSx,xxx or AT*SSID. They both work for WPS.
I see another user in a similar thread saying supplying a pw doesn't work for him either.

Not the end of the world - I can leave one of those other routers acting as an AP and have a working solution - just the inner engineer in me wants to make it work the way I want it to work. Smile

That's to say - if the firmware is opensource or source is available under NDA, I be happy to assist in troubleshooting. Suppose it could be a limitation of the ESP8266, but I haven't turned over too many stones in that direction yet. Overall love the product and think it's remarkably nifty.
-b