Installer hangs
Installer hangs in Windows 8.1.

I download the EXE version, go to the download folder, right click on scp_setup.exe and choose "Run as Administrator", acknowledge the Windows warning about running as administrator, and all I get is a spinning circle beside my pointer. No windows open, nothing shows up in the task manager.

I leave the computer be for five minutes and return to see the same spinning circle.

I try to run the EXE in an Admin command prompt, the shell hangs and I cannot break out of it without closing the command prompt window.
Make sure that you don't have the SuperCard Pro board plugged in when the installer is run.

This sounds like a Windows issue, but it could be USB based if you have then SuperCard Pro plugged in before the driver is installed.

Also make sure you have any anti-virus shut off during the install.
(02-08-2016, 08:44 PM)admin Wrote: Make sure that you don't have the SuperCard Pro board plugged in when the installer is run.

This sounds like a Windows issue, but it could be USB based if you have then SuperCard Pro plugged in before the driver is installed.

Also make sure you have any anti-virus shut off during the install.

The SuperCard has not ever been plugged into that machine yet.

I didn't consider the anti-virus program could be blocking anything. I didn't specifically tell it to sandbox the app, and I couldn't tell if it had been, but that doesn't mean it somehow didn't try to prevent operation on its own. It just confused me that only the explorer.exe process was hanging. The scp_setup.exe program did not show up in the task list.

Two things to note, though:
  • The installer ran fine on my Windows 10 tablet.
  • My Windows 8.1 machine, which I prefer to run it on, is my primary development machine. I have installed drivers for Arduino, ZoomFloppy, and other FTDI based hardware on the system already for my other hobbies. Could there be an issue with that?
No, because you are not even getting to the driver installation yet - that is the 2nd part of the installer.  You are failing on just the loading of the installer.  You might want to try downloading the file again, especially if you are downloading the executable instead of the .zip archive.

I know that several anti-virus programs don't like the SCP software because the executable file (scp.exe) is store compressed and decompresses itself when it runs.
(02-09-2016, 11:21 AM)admin Wrote: No, because you are not even getting to the driver installation yet - that is the 2nd part of the installer.  You are failing on just the loading of the installer.  You might want to try downloading the file again, especially if you are downloading the executable instead of the .zip archive.

I know that several anti-virus programs don't like the SCP software because the executable file (scp.exe) is store compressed and decompresses itself when it runs.

I use Avast. Disabling all of its modules allowed the installer to run. I was able to get the software completely installed.

Furthermore, I need to disable Avast each time I want to run the SCP software. It's a little disconcerting to do so, but at least I can use it on the computer I prefer to use it on. It's not so much the fault of the scp.exe executable than it is the heuristics of Avast, but I don't understand why the executable needs to be compressed, causing such an inconvenience.
Under Avast's prefs you should be able to "allow" the SCP software. The executable is compressed so that it makes it more difficult to disassemble. I don't want to just hand anything to my competitor.
(02-10-2016, 09:26 AM)admin Wrote: I don't want to just hand anything to my competitor.

Understood!  Cool