Ways to implement a selectable 3rd drive
(05-21-2020, 04:49 PM)admin Wrote: You could go with a single 37 pin output connector wired from inside your case, and use the extra three pins tied to +5v, +12v, and ground.  On the external drive side you would use a 37 pin connector wired to a 34 pin ribbon cable, along with the power wires (molex/berg connectors?) to the drive.  This would allow for 5.25" and 3.5" drives to be used.

Ha! Great minds think alike. That is what I laid out last night in Fusion. I also want to add a USB panel mount B-to-mini in the square power switch filler section. I could use the rounded fuse filler for a power connector.

I thought about using the extra 3 wires in the DB37 for power. I was a bit worried about the voltage drop across the 28AWG ribbon cable. Looking at the actual resistance per foot now though even with a 1A current draw there would be less than 0.2V drop over three feet. I searched quite a bit yesterday for a good reference as to how much current at 5V and 12V a single 5-1/4" drive might draw but was not able to find anything authoritative. The 3-1/2" drive draw is nothing to worry about.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ways to implement a selectable 3rd drive - by Jeff_Birt - 05-22-2020, 06:36 AM