CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: Utilizing WiModem to run C64 BBS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently got a WiModem and I'm having several head-scratching moments I'm trying to resolve.

Overall, running at 2400 baud, the modem works excellent with my BBS operation. One problem I noted though is that file transfers wouldn't work right when running Punter or X modem protocol. This was previously reported (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=485) by another user. I tested my configuration alternately with CCGMS with same results.

I did find out however - at least with CCGMS - that if I set modem type to U9600 and push the baud rate to 9600, CCGMS will properly send software with another computer. So I then jumped over to my BBS and set the baud rate to 9600 - modem was showing same. Now all the BBS sees is garbage characters and can't communicate with the modem, apparently incompatible with talking to the modem in at this baud rate.

Summary: Normal text communication error-free at 2400 baud. Modem communication flawless as well. File transfers will not operate (hangs on the BBS side).
BBS modem init string is: ate1x1s0=0s10=30v1

Goal: desire to run at 2400 baud rate (for this is a commodore 64!) and effectively do transfers.
I've tried the following settings:
AT&k1 / k2/ k3 / k0
Running latest firmware as of today.
Translation mode is set for NONE.
Caller modems for inbound calls had translation modes set to NONE.
User wifi modems used to call BBS: Both Retro-rewind Wifi and CBMStuff.Com WiModems were used.

No animals were harmed in the testing of this.
(03-12-2024, 09:08 AM)mnewkirk Wrote: [ -> ]I recently got a WiModem and I'm having several head-scratching moments I'm trying to resolve.

Overall, running at 2400 baud, the modem works excellent with my BBS operation. One problem I noted though is that file transfers wouldn't work right when running Punter or X modem protocol. This was previously reported (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=485) by another user. I tested my configuration alternately with CCGMS with same results.

I did find out however - at least with CCGMS - that if I set modem type to U9600 and push the baud rate to 9600, CCGMS will properly send software with another computer. So I then jumped over to my BBS and set the baud rate to 9600 - modem was showing same. Now all the BBS sees is garbage characters and can't communicate with the modem, apparently incompatible with talking to the modem in at this baud rate.

Summary: Normal text communication error-free at 2400 baud. Modem communication flawless as well. File transfers will not operate (hangs on the BBS side).

Goal: desire to run at 2400 baud rate (for this is a commodore 64!) and effectively do transfers.
AT&k1 / k2/ k3 / k0
User wifi modems used to call BBS: Both Retro-rewind Wifi and CBMStuff.Com WiModems were used.

There have been many C64 BBS's running WiModems for years now.  At higher baud rates (9600 baud and higher) you will need to make sure that hardware handshaking is enabled (AT&K1).

Your problem could very well be that you are trying to use a Telnet system with a non-Telnet system.  Typically you want to use RAW mode, which is the default.  Some BBS's do use a Telnet connection (typically port 23).  In these cases you need to enable Telnet translation (AT*T1) or binary data will not be transferred correctly - including file transfers.  Both ends have to match for translation type.

I transfer files between my PC and C64 quite often, using XModem or Punter.  Make sure you are using the latest version of CCGMS.  There was a bug in the Punter protocol from the original version.

Since this seems to be affecting all WiFi modems you have tried this is likely a BBS problem.  What BBS are you using?
(03-12-2024, 01:16 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2024, 09:08 AM)mnewkirk Wrote: [ -> ]I recently got a WiModem and I'm having several head-scratching moments I'm trying to resolve.

AT&k1 / k2/ k3 / k0

There have been many C64 BBS's running WiModems for years now.  At higher baud rates (9600 baud and higher) you will need to make sure that hardware handshaking is enabled (AT&K1).

Your problem could very well be that you are trying to use a Telnet system with a non-Telnet system.  Typically you want to use RAW mode, which is the default.  Some BBS's do use a Telnet connection (typically port 23).  In these cases you need to enable Telnet translation (AT*T1) or binary data will not be transferred correctly - including file transfers.  Both ends have to match for translation type.

I transfer files between my PC and C64 quite often, using XModem or Punter.  Make sure you are using the latest version of CCGMS.  There was a bug in the Punter protocol from the original version.

Since this seems to be affecting all WiFi modems you have tried this is likely a BBS problem.  What BBS are you using?

I'm using Color64 bbs version 8.0.
I've also used CCGMS (terminal to terminal). As mentioned, in lower bauds (2400) using standard modem driver in CCGMS, files fail to transfer (so two separate failing programs). Changing CCGMS to U9600 driver and setting baud to 9600, files did transfer. I don't have a similar setting for Color64 software so far as I know.  Some additional details:

I tried *T1 setting - made modem hard to communicate with from Color64. I ended up changing it back.

so for both the BBS software as well as CCGMS 2022:
1> user initiates transfer request (using Punter as protocol in this example)
2> system responds with file showing ready to send and begins polling for initiation of first block of transfer
3> user invokes punter download to begin receiving
4> bbs remains in polling status awaiting for #3 to occur

One additional note: performing downloads from the same BBS software through their terminal functionality worked fine.
1> In Color64, selected SYSOP "Terminal function"
2> ADTD'd to another BBS
3> requested download of a file
4> successfully transferred.
I am guessing that your router or ISP is very slow and causing timeout errors with the file transfer at lower baud rates. You might want to see what your ping times are to the WiModem. You should be seeing <32ms locally when pinging from a PC to the WiModem.

I transfer files between C64's as well as between my PC laptop and C64 and Amiga. I don't see any failures like you describe, and I have not had any reports of failures like this with the WiModem.

If file transfers work through the built-in terminal in Color64 then I would say the WiModem is working fine, and the issue is probably speed (overhead) related. There is a delay between the WiModem your router and your ISP (and back) that did not exist with phone lines. So, several protocols (Zmodem mainly) have issues unless you adjust the timing window. I use CCGMS to transfer (Punter) between my C64's. I can transfer at 300 baud to 9600 with no issues. I am using the latest version that has 80 column support and fixed Punter protocol and X-modem 1K. You might want to try that version.

https://github.com/mist64/ccgmsterm/releases/tag/v0.2
I'm still unresolved here, so I'd like to ask this in a different way:

using 2 commodores - terminal to terminal (both are wimodems) - what would you think is going on if file transfers pass fine at 9600 baud, but do not at 2400? Only the baud rate was changed in settings.
What terminals? It matters for sure. I can use CCGMS at any baud rate between computers, in standard mode and NULLMODEM mode. There is a difference in file transfer timing at different baud rates so you need to be using a terminal program that is known to be working at all baud rates.
Using CCGMS 2022 as terminals for both calling and receiving commodore 128s; both using WiModem.
My thought: I think maybe not a WiModem problem, but the "driver" of the modem. (U9600 vs Standard User port).
Calling method is performing atdt to the domain name (so going straight out door to external IP and back into the house via WIFI). 

Successful test using CCGMS 2022:
U9600 Modem setting, 9600 baud rate selected; Punter and XModem tested

Failed in CCGMS 2022 (C128 and C64 tested) and Syncterm (PC using XModem)):
Standard Modem setting, 2400 or 1200 baud.
Color64 v8 BBS software does not allow me to specify modem type - so maybe that's the problem. I'm going to try EBBS as there is another post on this forum saying it worked.
I know that Color64 Rev2 works because I wrote a modem driver for WiModem for it. There are many mainstream BBSs out there (like particles) that use the WiModem. I am not sure what everyone is using for their BBS software though. The WiModem emulates a Hayes compatible modem, so it will work on anything that a real modem worked on.
(03-15-2024, 12:34 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]I know that Color64 Rev2 works because I wrote a modem driver for WiModem for it.  There are many mainstream BBSs out there (like particles) that use the WiModem.  I am not sure what everyone is using for their BBS software though.  The WiModem emulates a Hayes compatible modem, so it will work on anything that a real modem worked on.

Fabulous! Color64 is what I'm shooting for! I have no idea where to find "Rev2".... will have to scour the 'net tonight over some wine. This has been very elusive!!
There was a 2nd all-new revision of Color64, released after version 12 (which was after the v8 you are using).
Pages: 1 2