NULLMODEM mode
9600 baud is only 960 bytes per second if there was zero overhead. Even on fast PCs that is not ever going to happen. I usually see round 920 bytes/S with a PC to PC transfer. Because of how the UP9600 hack works on the C64, the overhead is pretty extreme so expect to see around 650 bytes per second of real-world through-put when downloading, and about 1/2 of that when uploading. The reason being is that the hack requires two transfers for every byte, so it's closer to 4800 baud when sending data.
If what NComm is telling me is correct, I was averaging around 480-490 bps. Thanks for clarifying what to expect.

Should be interesting when I try pairing the two WiModem232s  Smile
I am getting about 21KB/s between WiModem232 Pros at 230400 baud.
Awesome! Although, I believe I can only set 230400 on my GVP I/O extender. My WiModem232 Pro will be on my A3000's stock serial port, but it will be using a better serial.device such as 8n1.device. I think the best I could set the port speed to without dropping data is 57.6kbps, however.

(03-01-2024, 10:10 PM)admin Wrote: I am getting about 21KB/s between WiModem232 Pros at 230400 baud.
You can use 115200 baud on even a stock A500 (no accelerator) with 8n1.device as well as a couple of other serial driver replacements.
This is correct, and has nothing to do with the permanent mode. If you are in permanent mode the WiModem will boot into NULLMODEM mode instead of normal mode. With the WiModem for the C64 and the original WiModem232 the router information is deleted any time the NULLMODEM mode is enabled (permanent or not). This is because the router is not used at all - it's a direct connect between the modems. I was able to change this with the WiModem232 Pro, but it uses a completely different method of storing all of the settings, including the router information. I am looking at ways to also fix this with the original WiModems.

NovaTerm's flow control is backwards in the UP9600 driver. You need to turn OFF the flow control to enable it, and you must have flow control enabled on the WiModem itself (AT&K1). However, since the UP9600 hack doesn't really use 9600 baud for the through-put (just the single character bit rate) Zmodem and perhaps other protocols are never going to work with it without adjusting the timing window. I am not aware of any C64 terminal program that supports Zmodem that lets you adjust the internal parameters (like you can with a PC or the Amiga).