C64 disk image FTP or search of .scp images
(03-03-2014, 10:06 AM)Steverd Wrote: Something I never thought of. I do buy and sell a ton of C64 items, so would you rather but an original disk in box with the manual in non-working condition then, vs, having the disk repaired. Hmm, do you think the item would still sell? WHat do OTHER people here think about this?
Or leave it non-working and include a backup with it?

My preference would be that you sell it in the condition that it is. If it's original, but non-working, then sell it as such. I've bought stuff in this state, either because I wanted a disk, any disk, or because it had other collateral that I wanted (books, maps, etc.).

Not making a statement either way on the legality of including a backup copy, but I think that approach is better than overwriting the original disk. But, if you do decide to go the route of "repairing" originals (and I really hope you don't) at least represent them as such, so that people can make an informed decision.

Regarding your thoughts on a database, etc., that is the approach that other imaging products use. They are format/protection-aware, and do validation of the source disk to ensure that you're getting a good image. It still relies on an external database and the user performing a manual lookup to say "this is an XYZ disk, and that has ABC type of protection", but once you've done that it will verify that the data on the disk is error-free, and that it matches the format expected.

This is a SCP forum, however, so I don't want to turn this into a comparison of SCP vs. other solutions. If you're interested in these things, you can find information about the pros and cons of the different solutions on 3rd party forums, such as www.lemon64.com.

Cheers,
Robert

Messages In This Thread
RE: C64 disk image FTP or search of .scp images - by RJMcInty - 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM