New Version Error Message
After a cold start:

I open SCP software (version 2.20) from the desktop icon
A Windows-10 dialog asks if I want to allow SCP to make changes; I agree
SCP starts and immediately says a new version is available, asking do I want to install it; I agree
Shortly - a few seconds - thereafter a dialog states installation is finished
I close the dialog and another pops up stating SCP is already running; cancel is my only option
I close this dialog and nothing further happens; SCP does not load
This happens every time I invoke SCP software

If, however, I opt not to install the new version SCP loads and acts as usual.
???

-CH-
You need to run the program in Administrator mode or Windows will not update the program.
(12-14-2021, 11:40 AM)admin Wrote: You need to run the program in Administrator mode or Windows will not update the program.

Aha.  Thanks.
(12-14-2021, 11:40 AM)admin Wrote: You need to run the program in Administrator mode or Windows will not update the program.

Ran as administrator, same result.
Did you run the installer in Administrator mode? That is also a requirement. Also check that you don't have some anti-virus not allowing a program to write to the C:\Program Files (x86)\ path.
Yep and nope. Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall?
You shouldn't have to.  The only way that the program can not update itself is if something in Windows is not allowing it to.  ALL of these cases over the last 10 years have always been either Windows permissions (not running the program in Administrator mode) or an anti-virus program prohibiting the update.

I will be releasing a brand new firmware and software update, so there will be a new installer with the latest version.  There was no change in between v2.2 and v2.3 that is going to affect anything that you would be doing.
(12-15-2021, 01:16 PM)admin Wrote: You shouldn't have to.  The only way that the program can not update itself is if something in Windows is not allowing it to.  ALL of these cases over the last 10 years have always been either Windows permissions (not running the program in Administrator mode) or an anti-virus program prohibiting the update.

I will be releasing a brand new firmware and software update, so there will be a new installer with the latest version.  There was no change in between v2.2 and v2.3 that is going to affect anything that you would be doing.

I am running 2.2 and the latest version available for download is 2.2 so my machine shouldn't offer an upgrade, I would think.  That makes me suspect a Registry setting that has gone amiss.  Could I show you what's there?
I don't use the registry. V2.3 is the latest version so you should be getting a notification about a new version being available if you are using V2.2. As long as you are running the application in Administrator mode (Administrator account) by right clicking on the SCP icon and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR then Windows will have permissions to update the program. If you don't do this (or something else is preventing accessing the C:\Program Files (x86)\ path) then you will see exactly what you describe.