IBM PS/2 Formatted Diskettes - Non-Standard
I have 3.5 diskettes that are IBM PC formatted and I am trying to read them with the Supercard Pro. They are low-density diskettes formatted as high-density. Unfortunately, they are standard formatted but non-standard bit rates and possibly rotation.

The IBM PS/2 series allowed a 720 K floppy disk, without holes punched, to be formatted at 1.44 MB. The diskettes work flawlessly in the PS/2 series (50z, 55sx, etc.) and they weren't readable on IBM clones. When the PS/2 was readily available, I never thought to copy these diskettes to the standard, dual punched high-density diskettes.

I ran across several old diskettes formatted this way. The good news is that I have a physical IBM PS/2 Model 50z (Micro Channel) on my shelf. The bad news is the diskette drive motor no longer spins. 

The attached image shows the results of the Supercard Pro reading the diskettes. My other IBM diskettes, both 5.25 and 3.5, work flawlessly. The splice method has recovered bad sectors in nearly every instance. These diskettes are simply a problem at this time.

Is there a way to get the Supercard Pro to read these diskettes short of buying a PS/2?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
IBM PS/2 Formatted Diskettes - Non-Standard - by Tonmar - 09-07-2021, 09:57 AM