splice mode bad sectors at index
Hi. I've read that 2 revolutions in splice mode should be sufficient for any archiving, and even 1 should suffice.

However, in backing up my Amiga floppies to flux that need splice mode, I have found that 2 revolutions is never enough, and I must use 3. With 2 revolutions, I see bad sectors that always cross the index point. These bad sectors are showing up both in UAE and in HxC. With 3 revolutions, no problems.

I have sent 2rev images from an amigaDOS test disk from two different drives. Both drives were powered directly from the PSU and have had cleaning disk passes when dumping, including directly before I made these test dumps. Both of them show bad sectors only across the index point. I've done about 20 disks so far and they all exhibit this.

What is the explanation for this? Is there a correctable issue with my process, or should the rev requirement expectations need to be adjusted?

test_JU256A217P_2rev
test_TEAC_FD235HF_B291_2rev

Thank you, -Rob
2 Revolutions is ALWAYS enough. The track gap (write splice) only appears once within a track, and having 2 revolutions makes 100% sure that the track gap is fully encompassed within those 2 revolutions. If you need more than 2 revolutions for HxC then that would be a problem with HxC. I know that WinUAE only requires 2 revolutions. I use that all of the time.

A single revolution can be used when the disk was produced using the index pulse to start/stop the track.

You can always use the SuperCard Pro's editor/analyzer to index a track within a disk image.
(06-23-2021, 02:14 PM)admin Wrote: If you need more than 2 revolutions for HxC then that would be a problem with HxC.  I know that WinUAE only requires 2 revolutions.  I use that all of the time.

Hi Jim,

I just reviewed my testing, and found that it was flawed: My early WinUAE tests used INDEX copies which of course will have issues for amigaDOS (home user made) disks. Reviewing my 2rev splice disks in UAE, they are all working even though they show checksum issues with HxC. Thank you very much!