WiModem232 on Apple //e with SSC no longer displays any output
The thing I don't understand is that it's worked without issue for a year and a half, and I didn't move, add or remove any expansion cards, change jumpers or dip switches, or even update the modem's firmware, and the symptom just "appeared" one day. That's not something I usually see. I even tried using a backup of my HD image that I made a year ago to see if there was some software level change, and I got the same symptoms on my old HD image. So, I'm pretty confident that it's got to be the modem, the cable, or the Super Serial Card, as I am pretty confident I ruled out software by using my backup.

I did try all my tests with bank 1 dip switch 7 both open and closed, and it didn't seem to change the symptoms. I'm at a loss as to what might be happening. I don't have any other serial devices to test the port with, either, just a rev1 and a rev2 WiModem232 and a serial to USB adapter that I use for ADT Pro. (ADT Pro, by the way, works fine, and the rev1 WiModem232 is irrelevant as I'm specifically trying to fix the rev2 WiModem232 on my //e)

As I mentioned, I ran into a similar issue a few years back when I updated to firmware version 2.70. This doesn't seem to be the same thing, because all combinations of *Dx and &Cx don't seem to change the symptom.

Truth be told, I'm kind of pissed off. For six hours today, I've been reading and re-reading that post and double checking every DIP switch, and every character I'm supposed to type, repeating the instructions over and over again, with absolutely no change in symptoms whatsoever. At this point I'm incredibly frustrated. I'm sure I'll be less upset later, but at this particular moment if I took your advice and "Checked out that thread again" I expect it would result in my tossing the equipment off the balcony. Wait, I don't have a balcony. Never mind, you get the idea. :-)
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: WiModem232 on Apple //e with SSC no longer displays any output - by Kailef - 11-27-2020, 12:34 AM