Tandy 1000 drive works but no index pulse, reads random noise
Update/addendum: I went ahead and pulled the drive out of the machine to try it with the CBMSTUFF cable that I ordered with the unit.

Drive is labeled as a TEAC 14733700-00 J4-5080 SP68-40248-84

[UPDATE: just set the drive down and found another sticker. It's an FD-54B-02-U which does find a bit more info online, including http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.ph...eac-FD-54A which actually claims the 54B is a 96tpi unit.]

It has seven available jumpers:

IU [on]
DS3
DS2
HM
DS1
DS0 [on]
HS

I couldn't find a datasheet explaining these, though obviously the DSn ones would be drive select and I'm guessing HM/HS are the typical motor via "motor on" or "drive select". Some Googling says "IU" might just be "In Use" for the LED.

(FWIW, I noticed the Tandy cable does not have any twist, although the 3.5" drive does have an edge-card adapter board with at least some sort of transistor/regulator-type component on it that may also take care of the twist. I haven't pulled that drive yet and I don't have any of that size disk handy atm either.)

Anyway, the result of testing the 5.25" TEAC when connected to power and the only drive on the CBMSTUFF cable is the same: it's recognized, and lights up and makes happy klackennoisen but still "no index pulse" and apparently random data. These disks do have the usual index window and, again, everything about the vintage bits has so far been working fine when I use the disks and drive in the Tandy 1000 itself.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tandy 1000 drive works but no index pulse, reads random noise - by natevw - 01-11-2020, 06:02 PM