WiModem232 "V2" Question
I am curious:

On the sales page for the WiModem232, it says:

"The new WiModem232 V2 controls ALL of the standard RS-232 lines: Rx/Tx, RTS/CTS, DTR/DSR, and DCD all at the same time. This means that you can use the WiModem232 to run a BBS!"

I'm wondering when that V2 model was introduced?  Is that feature implemented via hardware versus firmware, so that older WiModem232 units don't have that capability?
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]
The V2 hardware was released today (March 14, 2018).  This hardware has the ability to have RTS/CTS *and* DTR/DSR at the same time.  The original WiModem232 could have RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR individually, not all at the same time.  It's not likely that this matters to most everyone.  For example, Apple II series machines didn't support more than 9600 baud so RTS/CTS really isn't necessary.  However, DTR and DSR are used by GBBS, and are supported with the latest firmware for the original V1 hardware.  The V2 hardware is needed for baud rates of 38400 or more when using PC BBS software.

The original V1 hardware requires that you cut traces and make jumpers for Apple II machines.  The V2 hardware doesn't require this.  The firmware and functionality is identical between V1 and V2 hardware.
I just want to clarify a statement regarding RTS/CTS you made in a closed topic when you were describing differences between the V1 and V2 hardware.

RTS/CTS works at 38,400 and lower rates on the V1 hardware, right? That's been my understanding. Your note seemed to suggest RTS/CTS was for 38,400 baud and up, just want to make sure no issues with lower baud rates as well.

Beery
RTS/CTS can be used for ANY baud rate on both V1 or V2 hardware, but typically its only needed for baud rates of 38400 baud and higher. The C64 needs RTS/CTS at 9600 baud (original WiModem) and so does the Apple IIc and Laser 128 with the WiModem232 (both V1 and V2). The Amiga and PC don't need RTS/CTS until 57600 or 115200 baud, so needing flow control really depends on the computer.
(03-15-2018, 11:03 AM)admin Wrote: RTS/CTS can be used for ANY baud rate on both V1 or V2 hardware, but typically its only needed for baud rates of 38400 baud and higher.  The C64 needs RTS/CTS at 9600 baud (original WiModem) and so does the Apple IIc and Laser 128 with the WiModem232 (both V1 and V2).  The Amiga and PC don't need RTS/CTS until 57600 or 115200 baud, so needing flow control really depends on the computer.

OK, thanks.  Just for your records, the TI-99/4A and Myarc Geneve 9640 require flow control as well.  With the TI-99/4A, anything above 4800 baud is sketchy and the Geneve at 9600 baud or greater thinks start to get iffy without flow control.

Beery
But these computers don't need DTR or DSR like Apple systems, so you don't have to modify the V1 hardware like you do with Apple systems. With the V2 hardware you have RTS/CTS flow control and DTR/DSR at the same time. I will be making a guide for modifying the V1 hardware to be 100% the same as the V2 hardware, and a special command will be able to be used to allow the V2 firmware to be used.
Thanks for the notes on the V2 hardware. So if ordering a 2nd WiModem232 today I assume it will be for the V2 hardware?
Yes. I sold out of the V1 hardware many weeks ago.