Garbage Characters
I am able to connect to different BBS sites, but I seem to be getting random garbage characters all the time. Not sure what to do , I have tried a few different Comm programs but I continue to get random garbage characters.
I would also add that if I do things like ATI <RETURN> I see the information, but there are garbage characters as well, so its not just when I am looking at data coming from a BBS. If I type ATI <RETURN> a second time, I see garbage characters mixed in with valid text but in different places, so its random. I am at 2400 baud.
(07-13-2016, 08:27 AM)Wizard1969 Wrote: I would also add that if I do things like ATI <RETURN> I see the information, but there are garbage characters as well, so its not just when I am looking at data coming from a BBS. If I type ATI <RETURN> a second time, I see garbage characters mixed in with valid text but in different places, so its random. I am at 2400 baud.
If your signal strength is good then:

You may try to reseat your CIA's (6526) at U1 and U2 if they are socketed and make sure there isn't too much oxidation on the "fingers" of the port. These IC's do sometimes get a little flaky and can cause these symptoms. You can also try swapping them around to see if anything changes. 

I've also seen bad/noisy power supplies cause odd things like this.

Good luck in tracking it down.
I came here to report the same issue.

I am getting garbage characters in CCGMS any time I try to access the WiModem. I upgraded to the latest firmware, connected to my network and was able to connect to a BBS, but on the BBS I get a lot of upper/lower characters swapping out.

[Image: YmlHcSa.jpg?1]

(Full disclosure: I had an "accident" with my modem before I installed it, but because the display still works, it connects to my wireless network, and appears to function properly in every other way, I am hoping it is not damaged.)
What version of CCGMS are you using? Only the hacked versions (7.1 is what I am using) support 2400 baud. Try using 1200 baud to see if the problem goes away. If so, it's the terminal program. If not, then its some type of noise (power supply) or CIA issue.
Huh. I was using CCGMS 6.1 and had also tried 10.1. I tried both 2400 baud and 1200 baud with no luck.

I downloaded CCGMS 7.1 from commodore.software (LINK) and it worked perfectly at 2400 baud using a 1670. Perfect!!
I know that 7.1 works perfectly. I also know with talking with Craig (the author - who just released the source code to the last official version - 5.5) that 2400 was never supported. It is in the process of being added right now, along with support for the UP9600 hack.
It's weird that 2400 was never supported, as it's an available baud rate in the menu. Was the code to support it never added to the program?
The 2400 baud didn't work.
I am also using CCGMS v6.1 and getting garbage characters. Does anyone know a BBS where I can download v7.1? I don't have an SD drive, so I'd like to just download CCGMS 7.1 directly to a floppy.