Drive not being detected on scan
My wife purchased me a SCP for xmas and I'm just now getting around to trying it out. Installed software on Win7 and had the issue w/ the unregistered dll, that is now working and the app runs.

However, on starting up, the scanning process lights up my 5.25 but it doesn't show up in the list of devices. I've tried changing the jumper from DS2 to DS1, no difference.

The floppy is a Panasonic JU-475 4EAF w/ the flippy mod.

Any other things I can try or possibly some logs or debug info I can dig up?

thanks for any help
~telengard
What cable are you using? Did you look at the jumper settings information in the Hardware section?
(01-29-2015, 05:45 PM)admin Wrote: What cable are you using? Did you look at the jumper settings information in the Hardware section?

I'm using one similar to the one in the manual, but with just the connectors for the PCB finger connections (not the 3.5 style) and it has a twist at the far end.

I will look in that forum, didn't realize it was there, thanks!

~telengard
(01-29-2015, 07:43 PM)telengard Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 05:45 PM)admin Wrote: What cable are you using? Did you look at the jumper settings information in the Hardware section?

I'm using one similar to the one in the manual, but with just the connectors for the PCB finger connections (not the 3.5 style) and it has a twist at the far end.

I will look in that forum, didn't realize it was there, thanks!

~telengard

Putting the jumper back on DS2 from DS1 matches up my jumper settings with diagram perfectly, except for TM which is not jumpered. Some spots do not have jumpers but are hard wired (but they match up with a jumper being required in that spot).

I also tried another cable, same results...

~telengard
Are you plugging the drive into the last connector after the twist or the one before the twist?
(01-29-2015, 08:37 PM)admin Wrote: Are you plugging the drive into the last connector after the twist or the one before the twist?

I have tried both. Right now it is in the last connector after the twist.
How are you powering the 5.25" drive? There is really no magic. If the drive light and motor comes on then the drive is being accessed, but track 0 is not being found. This might have something to do with your flippy mod. If that mod is not installed correctly, track 0 will not be seen. It's also possible that you don't have the track 0 sense arm extended and the head is below track 0 and will never been seen. Try moving the head manually to the middle of the disk and then run the SCP software and notice what the head does.
(01-30-2015, 09:25 AM)admin Wrote: How are you powering the 5.25" drive? There is really no magic. If the drive light and motor comes on then the drive is being accessed, but track 0 is not being found. This might have something to do with your flippy mod. If that mod is not installed correctly, track 0 will not be seen. It's also possible that you don't have the track 0 sense arm extended and the head is below track 0 and will never been seen. Try moving the head manually to the middle of the disk and then run the SCP software and notice what the head does.

I'm powering it from an external PC power supply. I'll try that suggestion and post my findings, thanks.

The drive light comes on when accessed by the SCD software, but no motors kick in.
Did you try with a disk in the drive? Some drives won't spin the motor or even find track 0 without a disk. There is a jumper setting to get rid of this normally.

Let me know what happens when the head is moved to the middle of the disk before running the SCP software. If whoever did the flippy mod did not extend the track 0 sensor and the head is below track 0, it definitely would not find the drive.
It is now working, turns out it was the power supply. I pulled another one out of my stash and things work perfectly!

thanks for your help!