Garbled text on connect to RPi telnetd server
(05-14-2023, 01:11 PM)admin Wrote: Raw TCP does not use Telnet at all.  Telnet is an upper level protocol (that sits on raw TCP) that allows for escaping hundreds of functions.  Every time a 0xFF is encountered, the byte following it is checked to see if an escape code is to be used.  This means that file transfers are much slower because it's not uncommon for executable files to have 0xFF in them.  The escaping was invented in the 1970's (some say 1960's) as a way to query terminals and force certain settings on them.

I am not sure why you would be using a "server" for connecting with the internet.  The WiModem simply talks to your wireless router like any other wired or wireless device to connect with the Internet.

Interesting. So that raw TCP is what most BBS software is using? I just (incorrectly) assumed it was all telnet.

The RaspberryPi is running a telnetd server. I am connecting from my 8-bit computers (Apple II and C64) to the Pi and getting a Linux shell prompt that I can then use to access services that would otherwise be unavailable to me via telnet or BBS connections on the 8-bit machines due to encryption requirements. For example, I have a python script on the Pi that I can run over terminal emulation that gives me ChatGPT access from my C64 keyboard. I can also run Alpine to check email.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Garbled text on connect to RPi telnetd server - by lee317 - 05-14-2023, 02:09 PM