IBM PS/2 Formatted Diskettes - Non-Standard
(05-08-2022, 04:05 AM)dfstudios Wrote: I realise that this is a relatively old thread, but I was wondering what would happen if you did punch those disks so that they would be read as high-density disks by normal drives?

I never tried notching the disks with SCP. Back in late 80's/90's, though, I did run through the various scenarios when I found these low density/high density formatted disks were uniquely formatted and didn't work elsewhere. A fellow student had a clone PC and the clone couldn't read the disks I formatted for a group project.

Notching a disk formatted this way didn't fix the problem with non-IBM PS/2 machines. The student and I tried this. Interestingly enough, if you formatted a disk in this way and later notched the disk, the IBM PS/2 that created the disk would no longer read it.

I hooked up the SCP tonight and found one of these disks to try. I changed all of the options available, including using splice mode, with no success. I found a couple disks formatted this way and they all produce the same results.

SCP has done a great job with my disks. Reading this type of flux would be a bonus. The drive is a TEAC FD325HF 3291-U has block of jumpers and I haven't tried changing them yet. The drive is set to automatic density, A3-B3.

Messages In This Thread
RE: IBM PS/2 Formatted Diskettes - Non-Standard - by Tonmar - 05-08-2022, 09:35 PM