ADF vs SCP read errors nDOS and bad sectors
Hi

I bought a Supercard pro, and I love it! So happy to finally be able to recover these old Amiga disks, because the internal Amiga drive is broken and PC's can't read the disks.   

I'm currently salvaging badly damaged (moist & mold) Amiga disks, which I recovered from a basement.

I use a Supercard pro hardware v1.1 , Firmware v1.2 with two different floppy drives:
- Sony MPF920
- Samsung SFD-321J
Both drives work flawlessly (i think) 

I can't read the disks directly, because the dirt, mold and what not, will stick to the heads immediately. So I remove the disk from it's casing, and clean it with a solution based on alcohol and some detergent. Then I place it in an empty and clean casing and rip the disk. First I make an ADF. The (green/yellow/red) status of the tracks give me a quick impression of the disk's condition. When it's ok (all green or green with some yellow) I take a 5 revolutions SCP image.

What I found though is that all green tracks don't mean that they are 100% ok. In fact. When an image is all green, I still get many errors while reading the disk in WinUAE. When I replace the copy with the SCP image of the same disk, there are less erros (or none). Why does the Amiga OS complain about it when the Checksum is ok (all green)?

Does this mean that there is a bug in the recovery software? Or is the Amiga's OS using a different way of Checksum than Supercard Pro?

Messages In This Thread
ADF vs SCP read errors nDOS and bad sectors - by wvos - 03-05-2016, 01:31 PM