Suddenly getting bad disks out
I know that it would be rendering the disk unusable until it's formatted. The format on the DOS machine wasn't working after I had destroyed the first track with the test on the SCP. That is what was confusing me.

A few other weird things have been happening and I think it is actually my floppy controller on the DOS machine that is misbehaving. A motherboard swap is now allowing me to at least try and format the disks that the SCP check reveals as bad. Previously it would just say (in DOS) track 0 un readable and not even let me try to format. Some that were reported on SCP as bad track 0 I can format in DOS, others I cannot. The previous controller was just failing these disks all the time.

Thanks for working through this mentally with me.

SIDE QUESTION:
I have a bunch of 5.25 disks labeled SONY MD-2D. They always fail trying to format them as 1.2MB but always succeed as 360k. They were from a lot of new floppies that were used on the C64. I just assumed that any floppy would work OK as 360 or 1.2. Was I wrong?

The reason I ask is that I have two sets of floppies. Ones that will always format correctly under DOS as 1.2 but cannot do 360, and then the reverse. Now all of the 360k disks always pass the SCP test. The 1.2mb disks always fail. On the same fence, I have 3.5 disks that are 720k and ones that are 1.4mb. The 720k disks always pass the SCP scan, and all 1.4mb fail.

In all SCP failure cases, they fail on any track scanned. When I format them in DOS, the majority have no bad sectors and a scandisk comes out clean. (few floppies here and there have some bad sectors as you might expect) This leads me to believe that the media test is doing something biased.

Messages In This Thread
Suddenly getting bad disks out - by Thraka - 03-11-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by admin - 03-11-2015, 10:16 PM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by Thraka - 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by admin - 03-13-2015, 09:06 AM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by Thraka - 03-13-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by admin - 03-13-2015, 07:56 PM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by Thraka - 03-14-2015, 03:08 AM
RE: Suddenly getting bad disks out - by admin - 03-14-2015, 03:26 PM