Today the DNS stopped working.
And it's time for another problem. This time something very surprising, as this has never happened in the two - or so years - I've had this.

Tried calling a few BBS's and got _immediate_ NO ANSWER. After troubleshooting I found out that any domain names don't work, but calling by IP address all is fine. I've always had it in STATIC mode so I switched to DHCP, set up ip, gateway and subnet again (although ATI4 showed them to be correct to start with) and switched back to STATIC and all worked. Untill restart. Now it seems I have to AT*NET=DHCP + AT*NET=STATIC after every restart to get things going.

Just the other day all ok but today not any more. I even updated to the latest firmware (6.01) but no change.

*** Sidenote: When DHCP, ATI shows an IP given by the router but ATI4 still shows the fixed IP used in static mode, not sure if this happened with the previous FW

A log below:

ati4
Network:STATIC
Static IP:192.168.1.57
Gateway:192.168.1.1
Subnet:255.255.255.0

atdt google.com:80
NO ANSWER
at*net=dhcp
Looking for router...

Connected to AahOohGA

at*net=static
Looking for router...

Connected to AahOohGA

CONNECT
Did your router change? Did your firewall change? Are you using an ad-blocking devices like a PiHole?

If it worked for a long time and then suddenly no longer works the same way it did, something would have had to have changed in your setup. Typically, domain name issues like this are from firewall rules changes (either locally or from your ISP). If the WiModem232 didn't work anymore at all, then I would say it was a hardware problem, but since you can use DHCP I am sure that there is something in your setup that has changed.

The WiModem232 firmware won't matter. I have not made changes to the connection code since 2018.
*** EDIT: Please note! You wrote "but since you can use DHCP". I did not use DHCP, I just switched to DHCP and then immediately back to STATIC and after that the STATIC mode worked just like it has always worked.

---------

Nothing has changed. I haven't even logged in to my router/modem for two months as there has been no need to.

And anyway (the same log again);

---------

[modem just powered on and connected to the wifi network]

at*net?
STATIC

****** THIS IS SITUATION 1

NO ANSWER

at*net=dhcp
Looking for router...

Connected to AahOohGA

at*net=static
Looking for router...

Connected to AahOohGA

****** THIS IS SITUATION 2

CONNECT

---------

Shouldn't the modem settings anyway be the same in SITUATION 1 and 2? Tt just has 'visited DHCP mode' between them.
This could force the router to change the IP rules for allowing connections. Keep in mind that a router will have a renew lease time setup and that could be controlled by something externally or could be long enough (sometimes months) so you may not notice a problem right away with some type of change to the router settings.

The WiModem232 can NOT control when it is able to connect to the router - THAT is controlled solely by the router itself. The fact that you can connect at all (no matter what is required) means that the WiModem232 hardware is working. Since you have had no issues for a long time (years), this would have to be some type of change with your router setup. I see this periodically with people using a PiHole or having firmware changes in the router. I have no way to debug this problem because there is no way for the WiModem232 to determine what is going on. It is simply being refused the connection when its requests one. Something occurs in your router after toggling between DHCP and static modes.

Unless you are running a BBS and actually have a static IP address, you should NEVER be using the STATIC option. If you try to use the STATIC option and the router changes IP addresses (the renew lease time being short) then you will never be able to connect to it until the lease is renewed. This could be what is happening here with you. Do you actually have a static IP address with your ISP (typically a paid service)? Maybe you don't and have been using an IP address that appears to be static and your ISP has made some changes to enable lease renewals.