C64 disk image FTP or search of .scp images
I wasn't referring to any existing or near-term technology or product, but something that hasn't been imagined yet.

Put as straightforward as I can: please don't "repair" original disks. There's no reason to:

If something happened to the disk once, it could happen again, so there's a chance that it could just go bad again.

Even if it doesn't go bad again, there's an increased risk by using an original disk, so just use a copy and keep the original safe.

Even if you're the current owner, at some point you won't own them any more, and the next person may want them in precise original state.

Thanks,
Robert
Quote:How about a way to compare two disk? A good vs bad?
Then some how use the good to repair the bad? Like copy just the bad or corrupt sector over to fix it???
whats that option worth really? if you have a good disk, just make a copy of the good disk =)
jupp datelne='1393863411' Wrote:
Quote:How about a way to compare two disk? A good vs bad?
Then some how use the good to repair the bad? Like copy just the bad or corrupt sector over to fix it???
whats that option worth really? if you have a good disk, just make a copy of the good disk =)

I think it's more a curiosity factor. Don't you want to know WHY the disk is not working or what's wrong?

HOW about some type of database that checks that they disk is at least in the correct format for the title. Like in the c64preservation.com Data base. You know like tracks 2-3 in non-formated, errors on trk 35, etc,etc

IDK, just think of crazy future ideas!
Steve

(03-03-2014, 07:23 AM)RJMcInty Wrote: I wasn't referring to any existing or near-term technology or product, but something that hasn't been imagined yet.

Put as straightforward as I can: please don't "repair" original disks. There's no reason to:

Thanks Robert.
Something I never thought of. I do buy and sell a ton of C64 items, so would you rather but an original disk in box with the manual in non-working condition then, vs, having the disk repaired. Hmm, do you think the item would still sell? WHat do OTHER people here think about this?
Or leave it non-working and include a backup with it?
(03-03-2014, 10:06 AM)Steverd Wrote: Something I never thought of. I do buy and sell a ton of C64 items, so would you rather but an original disk in box with the manual in non-working condition then, vs, having the disk repaired. Hmm, do you think the item would still sell? WHat do OTHER people here think about this?
Or leave it non-working and include a backup with it?

My preference would be that you sell it in the condition that it is. If it's original, but non-working, then sell it as such. I've bought stuff in this state, either because I wanted a disk, any disk, or because it had other collateral that I wanted (books, maps, etc.).

Not making a statement either way on the legality of including a backup copy, but I think that approach is better than overwriting the original disk. But, if you do decide to go the route of "repairing" originals (and I really hope you don't) at least represent them as such, so that people can make an informed decision.

Regarding your thoughts on a database, etc., that is the approach that other imaging products use. They are format/protection-aware, and do validation of the source disk to ensure that you're getting a good image. It still relies on an external database and the user performing a manual lookup to say "this is an XYZ disk, and that has ABC type of protection", but once you've done that it will verify that the data on the disk is error-free, and that it matches the format expected.

This is a SCP forum, however, so I don't want to turn this into a comparison of SCP vs. other solutions. If you're interested in these things, you can find information about the pros and cons of the different solutions on 3rd party forums, such as www.lemon64.com.

Cheers,
Robert
(03-03-2014, 10:59 AM)RJMcInty Wrote: Not making a statement either way on the legality of including a backup copy, but I think that approach is better than overwriting the original disk. But, if you do decide to go the route of "repairing" originals (and I really hope you don't) at least represent them as such, so that people can make an informed decision.

I can agree completely with this. I will definitely put 'Repaired Disk' in any of my sales, if that is the case. This is the best and most honest solution!

(03-03-2014, 10:59 AM)RJMcInty Wrote: Regarding your thoughts on a database, etc., that is the approach that other imaging products use. They are format/protection-aware, and do validation of the source disk to ensure that you're getting a good image. It still relies on an external database and the user performing a manual lookup to say "this is an XYZ disk, and that has ABC type of protection", but once you've done that it will verify that the data on the disk is error-free, and that it matches the format expected.

Wait, what is this product? You can PM me if you don't want to post here.
That wouldn't stop me from buy the Supercard Pro.
My main hardware right now is the ZoomFloppy, EashFlash 3 and UIEC-SD.
ALso Jiffydos and the Supercard Plus in one of my 1541 drives. I use ALL of the above frequently.

Steve
He is talking about Kryoflux, which has a database of certain programs and protections that it understands, which is far from including every program ever made. So, those programs that it doesn't know it can not verify or copy. Mindscape and Thunder Mountain weakbits protection schemes, many different programs using 1/2 tracks protections, etc. are all things that SuperCard Pro copies just fine that Kryoflux will not - and that has been publicly demonstrated on several occassions. I am more interested in producing a copy of everything as opposed to limiting the ability to just certain protection schemes. Verifying after the fact is only necessary if you want to be 100% certain the original disk is good. I have only seen a hand full of disks (out of tens of thousands that I have) that were somehow defective where the original disk did not work, which means the copy does not work. I am working on a read verify routine that will check the data at a flux level to make sure it is consistent, which would catch any issues with the magnetic media fluctuating from read to read, but there is nothing you can do about a bad original disk anyways, so any type of verification process is only going to be able to let you know the original has an issue.
And now, my apologies to the forum for opening the door for this to turn into a "this vs. that" thread...

Cheers,
Robert
Here is my point of view: I do have some rare original floppies which don't work, and I really hope I can repair them one day because of Jim's excellent tools. I don't sell these things, just use them. But I really want to use them but can't without these repair option. I understand your point about selling repaired floppies and hope you understand me as well.
Quote:Verifying after the fact is only necessary if you want to be 100% certain the original disk is good.
yeah, and why the hell would you want that? o_O
Exactly. There really is no need because the odds of something being bad are extremely low.