Automatic connection to WiFi-network very infrequent
Hello

I've had my WiModem232 for about two years now and I've had this problem for the whole time. The thing is, the modem very often doesn't want to connect to the WiFi automatically, it just says 'no router located' on the display. Sometimes it works, sometimes it needs a few power off/on to work and sometimes it just doesn't connect no matter how many times I power cycle it.

Then I make the connection manually and it also doesn't go like one would think:

-- LOG START
at*n
Scanning available networks...

Networks available:2
0 - AahOohGA (-46 dBm), WPA2
1 - 4G-Gateway-AE9704 (-88 dBm), WPA2

at*ssid AahOohGA,passwordhere
Looking for router...

No router located!

Looking for router...

No router located!

Looking for router...

No router located!

at*ns0,passwordhere
Looking for router...

Connected to AahOohGA
-- LOG END

It seems to have a problem connecting to the network by it's name and most likely that's the way it tries to connect when it's powered on. When commanded at*ssid, it responds correctly (AahOohGA) no matter has it connected or not, so it obviously knows what to look for.

And finally I want to emphasize that over the time I have had three (maybe even 4) different WiFi routers, the distance to the router(s) has been from 1 meter to 6 meters, and as you can see there aren't a lot of WiFi networks here to mess up the frequencies. I also haven't had any problems connecting my other devices to my networks.

So, how does all this sound?
If you are using a terminal program that does NOT input/output true ASCII when trying to connect to the router, this will happen. The AT*NS0 works because it is providing the CORRECT router name from the scan. What is being sent by the terminal program is NOT correct if this is failing like you show. Once your WiModem232 is connected your terminal program can then be changed to any other terminal type (VT100, VT152, ANSI, etc.)

Once the router name is correct, it is saved until you change it. Every time you power on the WiModem232 from that point it will properly connect. The only exceptions are firewalls, or being too close or to too far away from the router. -46dBm should be fine, but anything in the -30's range (-30 is stronger than -40) could be a problem. Also, if *you* are sitting directly between the router and the WiModem232 your body can actually fully block the signal, because 2.4GHz is blocked by water and the human body is 95%+ water.
All righty then.

But like I said, I've had plenty of setups and distances between the devices but it just hasn't worked ever. Also after connecting with AT*NS0 it almost never reconnects automatically (not once today, for example, no matter what room I take it to).

But no worries, I have found a way around this. I've added AT*N and AT*NS0 -commands to my computers startup procedure and it seems to work.
Make sure that your router does not have a firewall that is blocking devices. This is very common now days, especially with recent Linksys and TPLink router firmware updates. You almost always have to either disable the blocking or manually add the IP address of the device you want to connect in order to allow it to remain as a permanent device when the lease changes. Some routers come preset from the factory with a list of known IoT devices that can be automatically added, while others require manually adding them OR disabling this "feature". I have used LinkSys and TPLink routers during the course of developing this product (since 2016). I have had to disable this feature completely with my C5400 router.