odd thing..
While going through some testing I did find one bug today, and I have no idea how long it's been there - but nobody has reported it. When a connection is made via an outgoing call (ATDT) the DCD state was not being set. So, there was no "connection" being reported on the RS-232 pin. Incoming connections (like what a BBS uses) worked fine, it was just connections you made that had the issue.
Jim, what "AT" command would reset or wipe the "AT*OFFHOOK" command?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything in my BOOTUP.MDM, F10.MDM or RESET.MDM
files that would cause this. Here is what each has in it:

BOOTUP.MDM (whenever BBS Express! ST is first started)
ATH
AT&K3

F10.MDM (exits the program, returns to the desktop)
ATH1
AT*OFFHOOK=The DarkForce! BBS Is Currently Offline - Please Try Again Later...

RESET.MDM (runs whenever Express goes from "online" to "offline")
ATH
AT&K3

In case you're wondering, if I don't have the AT&K3 command in there, the WiModem232 always
goes back to AT&K0. I don't know why. Saving with AT&W makes no difference.
AT&F is the ONLY thing that will reset the OFFHOOK string unless you have somewhere that does AT*OFFHOOK= (without any text, which will erase the text completely).

Check to see what firmware version you are really using (ATI). I tested this a bunch today and everything works perfectly.

What is in the "RESET.MDM" file?

You SHOULD be using AT&K1 with anything over 2400 baud. AT&K0, AT&K2, and AT&K3 all turn OFF the hardware flow control. You WANT that on for your BBS. Without the hardware flow control, you will have errors sending any large chunks of data when the receiver is telling the sender to stop sending data.
(03-24-2023, 06:56 PM)admin Wrote: AT&F is the ONLY thing that will reset the OFFHOOK string unless you have somewhere that does AT*OFFHOOK= (without any text, which will erase the text completely).

Check to see what firmware version you are really using (ATI).  I tested this a bunch today and everything works perfectly.

What is in the "RESET.MDM" file?

You SHOULD be using AT&K1 with anything over 2400 baud.  AT&K0, AT&K2, and AT&K3 all turn OFF the hardware flow control.  You WANT that on for your BBS.  Without the hardware flow control, you will have errors sending any large chunks of data when the receiver is telling the sender to stop sending data.

Okay, then I know I'm not using AT&F anywhere, *unless* it's something that's hardcoded into BBS Express! ST and if so, well...I have no control over that.   Sad

ATI shows v6.01 on all my WiModem232's as of today.

The "RESET.MDM" file contains 2 commands at the moment, "ATH" and "AT&K3".

"AT&K1" - okay, well that's good to know. I had googled for what each of those settings meant
and never got that K3 turned it off. /sigh. I will change those commands in all my *.MDM files
to "AT&K1".

Thanks Jim.
You would know what the modem init string is being sent to the WiModem232 by looking at the display.

Ok, try this and let me know if it works:

Type: AT*OFFHOOK?

Look at the response. If it is blank set it to something, ie:

AT*OFFHOOK=this is a test

Then check to make sure it is there by typing AT*OFFHOOK? again.

Now type:

AT&W

This store the setting.

Now type:

ATZ

This recalls the settings.

Now, check to see if the OFFHOOK string is still there by typing:

AT*OFFHOOK?

If the string is there, then the v6.01 firmware update is working. At that point, only AT&F could be responsible for resetting the contents of the OFFHOOK message.

I wonder if I should make a default message, like I did with a few other things? I could do that and make a BETA version available. That would tell us that something is physically resetting the EEPROM contents.

Let me know how the above test goes.
Okay, I guess it must be something BBS Express! ST is doing then...

I followed your instructions exactly and it kept the offhook message
and showed it.

So I removed the offhook message command from my F10.MDM file
and ran DarkForce!. Just as soon as I exited, instead of showing offhook
and the message, it only shows offhook.

So I put the offhook command back into the F10.MDM file and re-ran
everything. After doing this, the message is shown correctly again.

So... BBS Express! ST is the culprit here, apparently.
So that would have to mean that the BBS is sending AT&F? Does your BBS have the WiModem232 w/OLED screen? If so, you could look at the commands that are being sent to it on the display. If there are a bunch then break out your mobile phone with slow-mo video option and video it and then watch it. Smile
All my WiModem232's have the OLED screen.

I watched it, during startup and shutting down with the F10 key.
I didn't see ATZ anywhere. I didn't see anything that went by too
fast either, so I think I'm seeing everything.

After exiting with no AT*OFFHOOK command in my F10.MDM file,
I went back and checked the WiModem232 with AT*OFFHOOK?
and it still shows the message stored there.

But if I don't have that command +message in the F10.MDM file,
the WiModem232 just shows offhook with no message.

So I give up. The good news is though, the workaround is perfectly
functional and achieves the same result.

I guess we'll file this one under "Unsolved mysteries". Smile
Ron . In a terminal .. can you set offhook, ATZ and then offhook? And it's there? Turn off the modem and offhook? And it's there?

If all that works it's an express mystery

James
(03-26-2023, 07:21 AM)Bikerbob Wrote: Ron . In a terminal .. can you set offhook, ATZ and then offhook? And it's there? Turn off the modem and offhook? And it's there?

If all that works it's an express mystery

James

Yes, that's exactly what Jim had me doing.

I set the offhook command. I issue an ATZ command. Check the offhook command and it's still there.

Okay, I did NOT turn off the modem. Jim never asked for that. Is there a reason for that? Thanks.