Amstrad CPC 3" DDI-1 Drive
Hmmm. I could have sworn mine was set to 96 TPI in both cases, but I'll have to re-check.

If you're using the correct media type for the drive, wouldn't you always want a single step between tracks? The only time I've needed to double-step is reading 40-track media in an 80-track drive.

Does the program automatically double-step if the range is set to ~40 tracks with the TPI set to 96?
If you set the range 0-39 with the 96TPI drive selected, there is NO double-stepping and the first 40 tracks would be read. Setting the drive type to 48TPI just sets the maximum track range to 42 and does the same thing. This only occurs when you are using the 360K setting though - CBM and Atari 800 disks all have to double-step, and will if you select one of those types.
Ah, I think that explains it then! I originally used the 360K option as what I felt to be closest to the 180K (40 track single-sided) Spectrum +3 / Amstrad CPC format. I will have done my original 3" drive test using that setting.

I later noticed the Atari 800 set up the 40 tracks and 1 side, so it seemed convenient to use that preset rather than setting the range manually, without realising the double-step side-effect. I probably haven't used the 3" drive since changing to that.

It sounds like Philippe just needs to use the 360K preset, then manually change the track range to be 42 tracks and head 0 only. For +3/CPC I'm also turning off the Blind Mode option, to ensure that data fields extending into the index area are complete. The default of 2 revolutions seems to be plenty.
yes i can confirm

with the 360k config all is good

a config for Amstrad CPC could be a good choice with only head 0 and track 0 to 41 as default

samdisk work like a charme to convert scp image ;-)
OK, I will look at making a Amstrad CPC setting. Thanks for letting me know about SAMdisk working properly. I don't have a PC controller that is compatible with it for testing.
The PC FDC requirement is just for real disk access using the normal controller. You can still access SCP images with SAMdisk on any system. I don't have any direct SuperCard Pro support in yet, but it's on my list Smile

You can peek inside MFM/FM images using: SAMdisk scan yourimage.scp

The 3" drives aren't too special, but do need a slight slower step rate than normally used for 3.5" drives. Single steps generally work but seeks will miss some steps if it's too fast. They're 40-track flippy drives, so having a preset range of 42 tracks and 1 side would be great. It applies to the Spectrum +3 as well as the Amstrad CPC, so a +3/CPC or CPC/+3 label would be fine if space is tight.
Ok, thanks for the info. I did look sat an image with SAMdisk and that works fine. I can adjust the step rate, head settle time, motor startup time, etc. with a single command to the SCP. I will probably make these settings available in a pull-down menu under the drive options.
Hi all,

Just received my supercard pro and start to connect it to a 3" amstrad drive; nice to see that there is possibilities to have directly this option in the future Wink

Edit: Got the time to perform tests with the 3" drive connected to the SCP: all is fine but we really need a CPC dedicated format Big Grin
(03-13-2014, 08:03 AM)phdepre Wrote: yes i can confirm

with the 360k config all is good

a config for Amstrad CPC could be a good choice with only head 0 and track 0 to 41 as default

samdisk work like a charme to convert scp image ;-)

Hi All,  I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I'd like to ask something related to this.  I've used the SCPro for archiving CBM64 disks and I'd like to move on to my CPC/ZX 3" disks.  

I have some 3" drives but I'm unsure of the cabling.  Is there a simple wiring diagram I can follow?   I can't seem to find a definitive answer online but since you guys here seem to have already achieved this, I wonder if you could help me?  Here's hoping...
hi

you can attach your fd-1 drive directly to the scp like any 3.5 or 5.25 drives

if you have only an internal drive with 26 pinout you must make a new floppy cable to connect to 34 pinout on the scp

http://www.fvempel.nl/3pc.html for example

can you share your Amstrad dump when you begin ?

thanks in adavance

philippe