What is the ICS64S?

The ICS64S is an all-new, easy to build (DIY), redesign of the original Commodore 64 computer.

Build your own fantastic new 8 bit machine that can run 100% of the original software, 24 hours a day with zero reliability issues!

ICS64S Features:
  • Superior ground planes and trace layout for cleaner signals.
  • Modernized power supply circuitry with space for TO-220 regulator w/large heatsink or a DC-DC regulator (Recom, CUI, etc).
  • Ability to use two different pinouts for the DB9 connectors.
  • Uses original 24 pin CHAR and BASIC ROMs, or 28 pin versions (2764).  Kernal can be 2764, 27128, 27256, or 27512 EPROM (up to 8 different ROM images).
  • USER PORT power output stability for devices that pulse power (EPROM programmers, digitizers, WiFi modems, relay controllers, etc).
  • Jumper pads for VIC II power select (6xxx-12v/8xxx-5v).
  • Improved RESTORE key circuitry (so you don't need to beat on the RESTORE key for it work)!
  • Internal dual headers connected to joystick pots, for use with MSSIAH, Prophet64, etc.
  • Internal IEC header (for SD2IEC and other devices).
  • Reset header (for external reset requirements).
  • Ability to easily switch between NTSC and PAL by just replacing a socketed crystal, moving a jumper, and replacing the VIC. A change can be done in a minute or less.
  • Two different size crystal oscillator package options.
  • Test points for diagnosing voltages.
  • Composite/Luma/Chroma amplified and filtered video output.
  • 32MHZ CPU that handles RESET, Kernal ROM switching, OLED screen, LEDs, and monitoring of various lines.
  • I/O port for OLED screen (for programming and status), serial interface (to update CPU), or any I2C device.
  • 3 wire RGB LED interface for status LEDs.  LEDs are daisey chained.
  • IRQ, EXROM, and voltage lines are monitored and shown on different LEDs (or same LED) and/or OLED.
  • TVS (anti-static) diode protection on the joystick ports.
  • 3 pin audio port output with solder pad input for 2nd (stereo) SID channel output.

This YouTube video has a complete description of the ICS64S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbriKLpSQE&t=537s
This project looks like It will be an amazing build to play with! 
Super excited to see this combination of options from the DIY universe coming together here!

Some questions to gauge the future direction...
> When is the projected release date?
> Have you considered integrating native support for a set of GAL20V8-15LP in place of the PLA?
> How about the ability to use a single SRAM chip instead of multiple DRAMs?
> Could a future revision hold both PAL and NTSC crystals and enough room for a ZIF socket for the VICII, to make it easy to swap?
> Given how many ROM images you can fit onto a single 27C512 EPROM, perhaps it could make sense to consolidate all ROMS down to one socket and use a GAL16V8-15LP to swap between them, similar to what Henning Liebenau did with his RePROM64?
> Then perhaps that extra board real estate could be freed up to accommodate a second SID? (dare to dream ;-)

Cheers!
> When is the projected release date?

The release date is about 4 month ago! I have had these sitting here since March, but the build manual has not been completed. I expect to have it completed finally this weekend.

> Have you considered integrating native support for a set of GAL20V8-15LP in place of the PLA?

Yes, but I decided against it and will have the GAL based PLA available as an option for all C64's. The goal of this project was to re-create the C64 using modern build techniques to make it reliable enough to run 24 hours a day for years.

> How about the ability to use a single SRAM chip instead of multiple DRAMs?

I wanted to use the same chips as the real 250407 and several other C64 assemblies use so that a donor board could be used for parts.

> Could a future revision hold both PAL and NTSC crystals and enough room for a ZIF socket for the VICII, to make it easy to swap?

Yes, but that was not the goal of this project.

> Given how many ROM images you can fit onto a single 27C512 EPROM, perhaps it could make sense to consolidate all ROMS down to one socket and use a GAL16V8-15LP to swap between them, similar to what Henning Liebenau did with his RePROM64?

Sure, but that was not the goal of this project.

> Then perhaps that extra board real estate could be freed up to accommodate a second SID? (dare to dream ;-)

Again, the goal of this project was to re-create the C64 as it was, but with modern build techniques and the ability to change ROMs using just the RESTORE key and no additional switches.