Wimodem bbs hosting
Does anyone know how to setup the wimodem232 to host a telnet bbs. I have the bbs software setup I just can't figure out how to set the wimodem to receive in comings calls. Thanks
Hello..
how to host a telnett bbs? at a c64, amiga or something else?

I'm hosting a c64 telnet bbs and it works perfect ;-)
Typically, a BBS will look at the Data Carrier Detect (DCD) line to know when a call has come in. However, some BBS's will look for a CONNECT message and send ATA to start the connection. Some BBS software does a combination of the two, where auto-answer is required (ATS0=1) and the connect message is waited on.

What BBS software are you using? By the way, it is CRITICAL that you know what type of connection you will be using - either telnet or raw. Telnet is common for PC's and portals. A direct connection requires a raw protocol. If you are using a raw connection then the WiModem MUST be set to have Telnet translation OFF (AT*T0), and if you are using a Telnet connection protocol then the Telnet translation MUST be turned on (AT*T1). If you don't, then file transfers will not work correctly!
(05-21-2021, 02:04 AM)admin Wrote: Typically, a BBS will look at the Data Carrier Detect (DCD) line to know when a call has come in.  However, some BBS's will look for a CONNECT message and send ATA to start the connection.  Some BBS software does a combination of the two, where auto-answer is required (ATS0=1) and the connect message is waited on.

What BBS software are you using?  By the way, it is CRITICAL that you know what type of connection you will be using - either telnet or raw.  Telnet is common for PC's and portals.  A direct connection requires a raw protocol.  If you are using a raw connection then the WiModem MUST be set to have Telnet translation OFF (AT*T0), and if you are using a Telnet connection protocol then the Telnet translation MUST be turned on (AT*T1).  If you don't, then file transfers will not work correctly!

Still a bit of a newbie with this device but so far I am very impressed with it.  Trying to gear up for bbs hosting with one of my old TRS-80 systems.  The serial control lines are working great with this modem and it is accepting and managing the telnet connections to the modem just as if it were talking to an original Hayes!  That part is great.

However, if I try any file transfers with xmodem, ymodem, zmodem...they do nothing.  I see from the xmodem program it will say WAITING FOR INITIAL NAK and nothing happens after that.  I have followed suggestions in this section of the forum.  the at*t setting doesn't seem to matter if it is set to 0 or 1.  Would love to get this part working but so far with many hours I have come up empty handed.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Martin
(05-21-2021, 02:04 AM)admin Wrote: Typically, a BBS will look at the Data Carrier Detect (DCD) line to know when a call has come in.  However, some BBS's will look for a CONNECT message and send ATA to start the connection.  Some BBS software does a combination of the two, where auto-answer is required (ATS0=1) and the connect message is waited on.

What BBS software are you using?  By the way, it is CRITICAL that you know what type of connection you will be using - either telnet or raw.  Telnet is common for PC's and portals.  A direct connection requires a raw protocol.  If you are using a raw connection then the WiModem MUST be set to have Telnet translation OFF (AT*T0), and if you are using a Telnet connection protocol then the Telnet translation MUST be turned on (AT*T1).  If you don't, then file transfers will not work correctly!

ok...version two of my comment.  I was able to get a transfer to work using a raw connection *not telnet*.  That is a step in the right direction.  With a telnet connection it does not seem to work with telnet translation on or off.  probably would be nice to be able to use that.  I made the raw connection with the telnet client program.
File transfers are not a function of the WiModem232 itself, data transfer is and that is controlled by the router/ISP so those inherent delays can make or break file transfers. Turning off “Telnet” (which is not needed at all) will reduce the amount of overhead of translation and help with file transfer protocols that have short windows looking for ACKs/NACKs.

You also must make sure that if your connection portal is truly Telnet that you have translation ON. If you are not using a true Telnet portal then translation must be OFF. You can’t mix protocols.