Downloading problems with WiModem 232 and a UDS-10
Photo 
Hey Jim. I'm still having some problems. A handful of callers are still getting "broken screens" and I even get them here sometimes, and that's with a Win10 box, SyncTerm, and a hard-wired CAT5 LAN connection.

With the WiModem 232 we can download Zmodem okay, but the only way to upload is Xmodem (but we talked about Zmodem and it's tight tolerances already).

So a couple of things. Here's what the broken screens/menus look like:

So it was late last night and I decided to play around with "ping". Here are the results. The first picture is the WiModem 232 hooked up to my STacy (settings pretty much the same as for the BBS). Notice the first 4-5 pings. It does settle down after that but still, the average ping time is 18ms. I've had several people tell me that's too high. The second picture is with the Lantronix UDS-10 hooked up to the BBS. Of course it's hard-wired. With the UDS-10 hooked up to the BBS, and set to "raw", I can successfully do downloads and uploads with Zmodem. 

I feel all of this just means that there is certainly something wrong with my WiFi, but I just don't know what...

Thanks for all your help.
It could be that you have some other device on your network that is accessing your router periodically that is interrupting the connection. Your router probably only has a single receiver for the 2.4GHz side. I have a router (TP-Link) that has two 2.4GHz transceivers, and two 5.8GHz transceivers. I assigned one of the 2.4GHz transceivers strictly for my WiModem. This insures that nothing else in my house will interfere with it. If you do have this ability with your router then that should solve the ping issue.
(10-09-2021, 03:37 PM)admin Wrote: It could be that you have some other device on your network that is accessing your router periodically that is interrupting the connection.  Your router probably only has a single receiver for the 2.4GHz side.  I have a router (TP-Link) that has two 2.4GHz transceivers, and two 5.8GHz transceivers.  I assigned one of the 2.4GHz transceivers strictly for my WiModem.  This insures that nothing else in my house will interfere with it.  If you do have this ability with your router then that should solve the ping issue.

That sounds like pretty good advice. I'm not sure what in my household would be interfering. The only other wireless devices are my wife's iPhone and the other 2 WiModem 232's that I have. Considering they are only intermittently
in use (and I know I've had the problem when both were turned off), I feel certain it's not the WiModems.

I think I need to research my router some more and find out if it does have more than 1 channel. If not, I may just have to upgrade to something better. If I have to upgrade, then gosh darn it, I guess I'll just have to.  Go ahead, twist my arm, okay - that's enough.  Smile

Thanks Jim.
LOL! The router could be going out and just pinging things on its own too. While it is doing something with whatever channel the WiModem is connected to means that it is off line during that time, which will definitely result in longer ping times. Some devices like Amazon Alexas, iPads, iPhones, home stereo systems with WiFi, DirecTV/Dish receivers, etc. that have access to your router can certainly hold off other devices.
(10-09-2021, 08:53 PM)admin Wrote: LOL!  The router could be going out and just pinging things on its own too.  While it is doing something with whatever channel the WiModem is connected to means that it is off line during that time, which will definitely result in longer ping times.  Some devices like Amazon Alexas, iPads, iPhones, home stereo systems with WiFi, DirecTV/Dish receivers, etc. that have access to your router can certainly hold off other devices.

Okay, so I found this screen on my current LinkSys router (note that normally I have "all band steering" checked).

So from this, it looks like it has one 2.4ghz and two 5ghz channels?

Bummer...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yes, so anything else you have in your house that uses 2.4GHz would be shared with that single connection. You aren't losing any data, it's just being held off a bit - which is a problem for a lot of modem protocols. Oddly, ZModem is the one that I have seen that is affected the most by this.
Okay, I'll be going shopping. I'll let you know when I get something with multiple
channels and how it goes from there.

Thanks Jim! Smile
Hmm, I seem to be having trouble finding router models that support this. Most of them seem to be dualband
or triband (which is what my LinkSys EA8300 is).

Models that have two 2.4 ghz radios is rare although many support a mix or 2.4 ghz plus two 5 ghz radio's.

Can you recommend any particular (specific) models?

Thanks.
Yeah, finding something with multiple 2.4GHz transceivers is going to be harder at this point as almost everyone has switched to 5GHz.

I am using an Archer C5400 (TP-Link) v2.0 router. It has the main 2.4GHz channel, plus a "guest" 2.4GHz channel. It has the same for 5GHz as well.

I think if you can find a router that has a separate "guest" channel then that should work.
Okay, thanks. I'll keep searching and playing around.

I'll post here if I make any progress...