5.25 double density
So what would be the settings in the SCP GUI for unknown format 5.25 pc floppies?
Probably C64/128 with half tracks, if the PC disk a 80 track disk. I am re-working a lot of that, and getting rid of the Disk Types with buttons, and going to a pull-down menu with a LOT of different formats.
Thanks Jim.
(01-15-2014, 05:24 PM)LordCrass Wrote: The problem isn't determining the format, it's what disk type to select from a menu that doesn't seem to have the correct option.

The 360K option reads in 80 tracks and 2 heads, but it should be 40 tracks with 2 heads. So what you get is essentially a 360K disk with "half-tracks". The other closest option is the C64/128 type, but that won't give you the data from the other head.

Any updates on this issue? there still doesn't seem to be a proper option for double density disks.

I'm trying to extract the contents of some 5.25" 360K DD disks, but I can't get a Flux image I can convert/extract with HxCFloppyEmulator.
What type of disk drive are you using? I have no problems converting 360K disks to .dsk files (sector data).
I'm using a 5.25" YE Data YD-380 floppy drive, which has worked with 1.2M disks at least so far.

When I use Disk View of 360K flux image under HxCFloppyEmulator, there are red areas between the tracks, so format doesn't seem to be right.
If I try to extract files with HxCFloppyEmulator, I end up with files full of zeros.
Ok, so you are using a 96 TPI drive. So, you would need to use the C64 disk type with 1/2 tracks off. I have used this configuration mode with HxC. But typically I use a 48 TPI drive with any format that is originally a 48 TPI media format. The drive spins slower, and the head is wider. This really helps eliminate issues related to drive alignment.
That only seems offer a 75 track 1 sided disk image according to HxC, shouldn't it be double sided for 360K? the Disk View looks all green at least.

How would I convert the flux file to something I could extract files out of? HxC no longer recognizes the files contents either.
I will look into the 96 TPI support. I haven't used that with 360K disks in a very long time but I know that at some point the 360K disk type only worked correctly with a 48 TPI drive.
Unfortunately I noticed the YD-380 is reported as high density only, when looking for information on any useful jumper settings.

How would I confirm for sure? the technical manual (PDF) is available online.