WiModem232 on Apple //e with SSC no longer displays any output
I'm stumped. I literally replaced everything. Motherboard, Super Serial Card, Internal SSC header and bracket, external serial cable, different WiFi router, and even got a known-good WiModem232 from a friend. I'm having the same problem, with settings that I know for a fact worked fine for over a year. I give up, I'm too dense to figure this out. It's clear there's nothing wrong with the WiModem232.
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]
Well, it sounds like there is some type of issue with the Apple IIe. Is there some type of diagnostic's hardware/software for the Apple IIe to check the card slots? Since you have literally replaced everything (except the Apple IIe) with known good parts (which were verified to work with another Apple IIe), and the WiModem232 and cable works with the Apple IIc, this really would have to be some hardware quirk in your particular Apple IIe. It would be good to know what that might be.
(02-11-2021, 12:53 AM)admin Wrote: Well, it sounds like there is some type of issue with the Apple IIe.  Is there some type of diagnostic's hardware/software for the Apple IIe to check the card slots?  Since you have literally replaced everything (except the Apple IIe) with known good parts (which were verified to work with another Apple IIe), and the WiModem232 and cable works with the Apple IIc, this really would have to be some hardware quirk in your particular Apple IIe.  It would be good to know what that might be.

The actual Apple IIe has been replaced, because everything besides the power supply (which I also replaced) is on the motherboard.  The rest is just a case.  Replacing the motherboard literally replaces the Apple IIe - New RAM, new CPU, new slots, etc.  Well, that's not true, it doesn't replace the keyboard.  I wonder if it's the keyboard?  I mean, what else is there?

The WiModem232 works with the Apple IIe. That's what I used (with a SSC) for testing it. I also used a Laser128 and IIgs for testing. Is it possible that something is wrong with your replacement SSC or IIe motherboard? I have seen a lot of SSC failures... that seems to be the biggest issue with the IIe hardware over time.
I know it works with an Apple //e - It worked great for a year and a half. I just can't figure out why it doesn't work now. I've pretty much given up, though. I don't have time to struggle with it any more. It's clear that somewhere in my testing I made some sort of assumption that isn't correct which means I need to start over from scratch with no assumptions. But I just don't have time for that. :-)

OK, well if you decide to do some testing let me know. I can make a beta version that adds some debug stuff so you can determine if keyboard input is actually reaching the WiModem.
I know keyboard input is reaching the WiModem - I can execute commands like at*flip and see the LCD flip. I can even dial a BBS and see it connect. In fact, I dialed a BBS and had the SysOp of that BBS on Zoom with me! He pointed his camera at the monitor of the computer hosting his BBS and I was able to log on to the BBS, enter my password, etc - All by watching the BBS through Zoom, using keyboard input from my Apple //e. But over here on my end, I couldn't see anything appear on my screen. Literally, everything works except the output from the WiModem that's supposed to reach my local terminal's screen doesn't get there, and I haven't the vaguest idea why. Everything else I do with the Super Serial Card works fine both input and output, but not with the WiModem232.

But this WiModem232 works just fine on your Apple IIc, so it definitely is working correctly.  There is a dip switch on the SSC that controls this.  I made a note a few months ago about this very issue in the Apple IIe setup thread.  Did you see this?:

*** NOTE *** IF YOU DO NOT SEE ANY RESPONSE FROM THE MODEM, ESPECIALLY AT 300 BAUD, TRY FLIPPING DIP SWITCH 7 OF SW1 (THE FIRST DIPSWITCH BLOCK) TO THE OPPOSITE POSITION!

This dip switch controls the output echo that is used by ProTerm and some other terminal programs as a means to know if the incoming characters should be sent to the display or not.  If its the wrong direction you won't get anything output to the display, but everything works.  Your system was working fine for a long time, and the WiModem232 works fine in your Apple IIc. Maybe your dip switch got changed or is dirty.
Just tested it. No change to symptoms in either switch position. Same results with a second, known-good SSC that I was sent by a friend. Like I said, I just don't have time to struggle with this. :-)

Wow... so, this has something to do with the Apple IIe itself as you know the WiModem232 and that SCC work in another machine. Very weird!