Odd things I have noticed with the software
I have noticed a few minor oddities in the SCP software.
  • There is no option to select a 3.5" dive. This was answered in another thread recently that it was not needed as the SCP will figure out what is attached. This make sense but is still confusing from a User Interface point of view. Maybe having it display that a 3.5" drive with 720K or 1.44mb disk inserted would make sense.
  • Several times the software seems to 'get stuck' in one mode or another. For example I was trying to write a 720K IBM image to a 3.5" floppy last evening. I would select 720K IBM and then load the image and it would switch back to C64. I finally had to close it and reopen to get it to work correctly.
  • When you start up the SC software and it detects an update is available, and you install said update when it tries to restart it will show a message box that says, "The SCP software is already running" (or there about). You can reopen the SCP software manually after that.
1) There is no option to select a 3.5" disk drive because none is needed. The disk type automatically determines the drive that must be used (3.5" or 5.25"). You need to set the type of 5.25" disk drive you have (48TPI or 96TPI) when you are using a 5.25" disk drive. Otherwise, that is ignored because it doesn't match the disk type when a 3.5" disk drive is used.

2) The disk type is what will auto-change the settings. An image file contains the disk type information in it. So, if you were loading a C64 disk image when you were last doing something with a 720K disk type, it should change to C64.

3) This is because you are not running the SCP program in Administrator mode. This is not optional.
(04-30-2020, 12:00 AM)admin Wrote: 1) There is no option to select a 3.5" disk drive because none is needed.  The disk type automatically determines the drive that must be used (3.5" or 5.25").  You need to set the type of 5.25" disk drive you have (48TPI or 96TPI) when you are using a 5.25" disk drive.  Otherwise, that is ignored because it doesn't match the disk type when a 3.5" disk drive is used.

2) The disk type is what will auto-change the settings.  An image file contains the disk type information in it.  So, if you were loading a C64 disk image when you were last doing something with a 720K disk type, it should change to C64.

3) This is because you are not running the SCP program in Administrator mode.  This is not optional.

#1 Whether or not one is needed it still presents an oddity to the user. If the SCP can tell if a 3.5" or 5.25" drive is attached can that information be shown to the user?

#2 I had not selected anything beforehand, done anything C64 related, etc. I selected the image type and when I then loaded the image it changed the type back to C64. It has done similar things at other times to. I have found to particular sequence of events that causes it.

#3 I believe I have it set to always run in administrator mode. I will double check.

Thanks!
1) It is not possible to determine what is connected to a 34 pin interface.  It could be a 3.5" drive, 5.25" drive, 8" drive, 3.0" drive, or even a MFM hard drive (which can be imaged with SuperCard Pro).  Because there is no way to know what is connected, the disk type is used to determine the actual drive type required. The user has to tell the software what TPI their 5.25" drive is.

2) If you can find something that you can replicate I will certainly look at it.  The only time the information should change is with a disk image is loaded, and that reflects the contents of the disk image.  You can always send me a disk image that is doing this - maybe it's storing the disk type as C64?

3) OK!
Thanks Jim. Not being able to poll the drive type defiantly does limit what you can do automagically in the software.

I checked and did not have SCP set to run as administrator after all, that has been fixed. If I see the mentioned oddities I will try to figure hot how to reproduce them.
Ok, let me know! I have been spending a LOT of time on the software lately.