SSH?
I suppose it is well outside of the hardware power in this little box to handle an SSH connection, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it?  Smile

My curiosity was sparked when I read about the AT*T[x] mode, thinking it was related to connection protocol... Seems it is something specifically for some pecularity in connection that telnet requires. Any clarification on that?

If SSH *could* be added, that would be sweet. LoL  Smile
SSH is supported by the ESP8266, but I have no clue what it is used for or why you would use it. Smile

Why should this be added?
(12-20-2018, 09:11 AM)admin Wrote: SSH is supported by the ESP8266, but I have no clue what it is used for or why you would use it.  Smile

Why should this be added?
I typed a long reply, posted, all all that showed up was your quoted text. Hmm....

The main reason is because telnet is unencrypted. Using SSH would protect your password as well as any other information you send over the connection. One could debate whether there is anything that is that important that needs to be encrypted, but if it is a relatively easy thing to add, please consider adding it.

I noticed a number of BBS systems now support both telnet and SSH, and in fact one that I connected to the other day actually noticed I was on a telnet connection and requested that I switched SSH. I don’t know whether this will increase or not, but again, if it is fairly simple to add, it might be a nice thing.

So, just a simple request, please consider it.

Thanks,
 Steve
I can look into it, but I have no idea what is involved.

What BBS did you try to log into that requested SSH? I need some examples to look at and test.
Thanks, Jim.

It was Xibalba, at xibalba.l33t.codes.44510. I actually didn't create an account, so I didn't log in, but it is the initial greeting that gives the warning.

Going to the telnet BBS Guide and searching for SSH shows a number of [Ok, a few... Smile] systems:

https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/?s=SSH
LOL! Yeah, "few". 4 out of the 465 on that list. There are over 3,000 world-wide.
Inded, although who can say if it will pick up speed. That's why I said only if it was easy to do, it isn't worth a huge investment in time. I found a solution that uses a Raspberry Pi via serial and does modem emulation that can handle it, so if push comes to shove that is an option, but it is nowhere near as elegant as the WiModem.

Thanks,
Steve
Apparently the ESP8266 can't handle SSH due to the lack of CPU speed.
That was my first assumption, but I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it. And, as noted, it isn't like it is a pressing issue at the present time. Smile
Did anything change since the last messages? I have used SSH from very limited machines (the most limited was a 16MHz Mac Color Classic). Newer TLS versions could be an issue for the CPU but 80 MHz (or 40MHz if you are running directly from flash) should be enough to handle it. The biggest hurdle could be the amount of memory to keep connection state (and code, if you are running from RAM).

There is a small ssh client (and TLS up to 1.3) that's open source called WolfSSH at https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssh that may be able to fit. Is the WiModem232 firmware on Github or any other place I could download and try my hand at building an image with the SSH client built-in?