My Results of copying Amiga Disks so far
MKII copied with blind mode off, 2 revs.
Well, your image of Night Hunter works fine! A neat 1990 UBI Soft game! I just selected the image and made a disk. That's it.

So... what disk drive are you using (brand/model)?
(03-04-2014, 07:09 PM)admin Wrote: Well, your image of Night Hunter works fine! A neat 1990 UBI Soft game! I just selected the image and made a disk. That's it.

So... what disk drive are you using (brand/model)?

Well... I am using a Samsung SFD-321B... Should I be using a different disk drive?
No, that's what I am using. How far does the copy load? It seems that tracks 70-79 are not very good in the image (you can see that from looking at the flux), but they are good enough for it to load.
(03-04-2014, 07:09 PM)admin Wrote: Well, your image of Night Hunter works fine! A neat 1990 UBI Soft game! I just selected the image and made a disk. That's it.

Wow... This made me think and I tried a new thing... I just changed the "Drive Settings" for the "Index Sensor" to "Ignore" fore "writes" and what do you know... Night Hunter "almost" worked (it loaded almost to the main menu) on my first try and then I tried writing from the same image on another disk and it worked!

I also just tried MKII and it worked!

So, for me, it seems my error was that I marked "blind off" but when writing, I needed to have the Index sensor as "ignore" when writing... Now thinking about it, it kind of makes sense...

Well, I am very happy! To continue trying to copy my other games...
One final thought... My Night Hunter original always loads flawlessly but the copies I make are less stable... At first I thought it was the disks I was using but I don't think that is the case... I tried re-imaging the disk and I am getting similar results... is there any value to increase the revs to 3? Does it help at all?
Changing the index write to ignore does nothing to help the copy, so that made NO difference. In fact this would make most programs fail. That option really is there for me. That function disabled would allow writing to occur anywhere on the track instead of referenced to the index pulse like every copy should be.

Did you try testing your target disks with the media integrity test? No matter how many revolutions are selected, only the first two are used.
(03-04-2014, 09:31 PM)admin Wrote: Changing the index write to ignore does nothing to help the copy, so that made NO difference. In fact this would make most programs fail. That option really is there for me. That function disabled would allow writing to occur anywhere on the track instead of referenced to the index pulse like every copy should be.

Did you try testing your target disks with the media integrity test? No matter how many revolutions are selected, only the first two are used.

ok... I am confused now... perhaps it IS my disks... I tested ALL my blank disks (from different batches and brands) and they ALL report media failure in track 0, head 0, the first track and head! --- which seemed very strange to me (I don't own a single disk that passes the track 0, 0 head test and I tested over 20 disks from different brands, types and times)...but I guess it is possible? I am thinking of buying new disks to test them... any recommendations on good disks and where to buy them? Huh
Did you try cleaning the drive head? That can make all the difference in the world!

How are you powering the floppy drive? If through the USB port only, are you using an external power supply for the USB hub?

Since you are having some success I think the issue is either a dirty head or bad power. I didn't look at the drive speed of your image. I will check that out in the morning. I don't think all of your disks are bad, but it's possible! I have thrown away DOZENS (really) of disks that don't pass the media integrity test due to genuinely defective media.
(03-04-2014, 09:58 PM)vcastro99 Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 09:31 PM)admin Wrote: Changing the index write to ignore does nothing to help the copy, so that made NO difference. In fact this would make most programs fail. That option really is there for me. That function disabled would allow writing to occur anywhere on the track instead of referenced to the index pulse like every copy should be.

ok... I am confused now... perhaps it IS my disks... I tested ALL my blank disks (from different batches and brands) and they ALL report media failure in track 0, head 0, the first track and head! --- which seemed very strange to me (I don't own a single disk that passes the track 0, 0 head test and I tested over 20 disks from different brands, types and times)...but I guess it is possible? I am thinking of buying new disks to test them... any recommendations on good disks and where to buy them? Huh

Which Rev. is your Samsung SFD-321B? (see label on top)

I guess your titles are an DD, not HD floppies?