Copying various Apple ][ copy protections
Moving my irrelevant information from the "C64/128 copy protections" thread in here. I'll start off with the original release of Fantavision. Note that I had miraculous success with the "C64/128 setting". The "Apple ][" setting rarely created working images; not sure if it is a bug.

Note that a 48 TPI drive may work since the protection does not rely on half tracks.

Quote:1. Capture tracks 1 to 34 first, with the mode set to Splice, and 5 revolutions if possible. Half tracks must be disabled. Read at a "Low" density with a 96 TPI drive!

2. Remaster the SCP file containing those specific tracks onto a cleanly formatted diskette. Boot it using your Apple machine to see if the disk drive makes TWO grinds before eventually failing at a black screen. If it only makes ONE grind, repeat steps 1 and 2.

3. Capture track 35 from the original disk, with the same settings as one would have done with the previous capture.

4. Remaster said track onto your new diskette. Boot. You should get a nice boot screen with zero beeps. If it still fails to boot and hangs at a black screen, rinse and repeat starting from step 3. If you get funky beeps and eventually never progress past the title screen, repeat steps 1 and 2. We already know that track 35 is good enough for the copy protection to pass, so you might just have had a bad capture of the first few tracks or a dirty drive. If all else fails, repeat on a new disk.