Curious about latest firmware (v2.30)
Hey Jim -

I'm curious!  Your latest Firmware Update says:

Quote:v2.30 - 01/12/18
  • Corrected issue with hardware flow control.

So, I'm wondering what issue you found in your otherwise-awesome product, and what changes we might see because of it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]
I made a change that improved the through-put for 230400 baud. I made another change to the flow control that improves the 1 megabaud through-put and allows you to select 480000 and 1000000 baud, that is coming with some file system stuff. The WiModem232 has 3MB of on board storage that you will be able to use for storing and retrieving files. If someone wants to write a driver for their computer system then you could emulate a hard drive or large floppy drive. I will have a SDK available in the near future.
(01-14-2018, 03:36 PM)admin Wrote: I made a change that improved the through-put for 230400 baud.  I made another change to the flow control that improves the 1 megabaud through-put and allows you to select 480000 and 1000000 baud, that is coming with some file system stuff.  The WiModem232 has 3MB of on board storage that you will be able to use for storing and retrieving files.  If someone wants to write a driver for their computer system then you could emulate a hard drive or large floppy drive.  I will have a SDK available in the near future.

Very interesting.  That may be possible with something like the Geneve 9640 that would have a very limited number of users.  However, for the TI-99/4A, it would be great, however the DSR (Device Service Routine) which is in ROM, would have to have be updated.  I'm not sure if that chip is socketed or not.  For the most part, the necessary code for another device is already out there so it would be just memory access a bit differently.

Beery
For the C64, you will have to load a "DOS wedge", which intercepts the LOAD command and then will load/save from the WiModem232 instead a C64 storage device. I am not sure if something similar can be done with other computer systems. For the Amiga, a standard device driver is used.
(01-15-2018, 10:32 AM)admin Wrote: For the C64, you will have to load a "DOS wedge", which intercepts the LOAD command and then will load/save from the WiModem232 instead a C64 storage device.  I am not sure if something similar can be done with other computer systems.  For the Amiga, a standard device driver is used.

The TI-99/4A would require the code be burned on an Eprom.  For the Geneve 9640, it would require an update to the operating system to support another device.  It can be done, but there is probably only one or two people left in the community that could make those necessary changes and I doubt there is enough interest in that direction to make it happen when most of us already have hard drives.

For the TI-99/4A, fewer people have hard drives, so "mass" storage devices would be more welcome.

Beery