BBS Setup ?
I recieved the Wimodem232 last week

It works like a charm when using it with a Client like CCGMS, Handyterm but i fail to get it hooked up to my BBS

Cbase sends Init string and i get Response form the Modem. Then Cbase waits for a caller. But as soon as i connect to the BBS/Wimodem it imideatly jumps into logoff mode. The user doesnt see a single Byte from the BBS. Anybody who might help me out on that ?

For testing purposes i just started ccgms and then used cgterm to connect to the modem. That way i can send data from the c64 to cgterm and vice versa. So generally everthing looks good, but refuses working with the BBS sadly.
What is the BBS using for detecting a caller? It could be looking for RING, or it could be looking at the state of DCD, or both. I have seen BBS software (like my own) that looks for RING, establishes the connection, and then looks at DCD to determine when the caller hangs up. If the DCD polarity is not programmable in the BBS software, you need to make sure the polarity is programmed correctly in the WiModem for your BBS software. So, what you could try is changing the DCD polarity. Normally, it is set to AT*D1. You could try AT*D0 and see if that works.
I tried, but this didnt help

My current setup which is working with Leifs BBS Gateway connected to Cbase BBS on C64 with Swiftlink and Nullmodem

Hardware Flow Control ON (9600 BAUD)

on Connection :

Raise DTR
Wait BBS to send ATA before completing connection
Send Ring to BBS when Caler connects

Raise RTS on outbound connection
Raise DTR on outbound connection

send "CONNECT 9600" to BBS on cennection

On Disconnect:

Disconnect if BBS Drops DCD
Disconnect if BBS Drops DSR
Disconnect if BBS sends <pause>+++ATH
send "No Carrier" to BBS on disconnect
lower DTR when caller disconnects

can you please assist me to configure the Modem correctly for that ?

And is it possible that i have to cut the DTR/DSR pads for that ?

Thanks in Advance
OK, I am confused here. You said you received the WiModem232 but then you state you are using CCGMS, which is a C64 program - that would require the WiModem, not the WiModem232. Which do you actually have? DTR is not supported at all with the C64 version. I don't know what computer Cbase is for.

DTR and DSR are connected together with the WiModem232. DSR follows DTR. So, when DTR goes high, so will DSR. I am not sure how DTR/DSR would need to be set (in place of RTS/CTS).
(01-08-2018, 06:55 PM)admin Wrote: OK, I am confused here.  You said you received the WiModem232 but then you state you are using CCGMS, which is a C64 program - that would require the WiModem, not the WiModem232.  Which do you actually have?  DTR is not supported at all with the C64 version.  I don't know what computer Cbase is for.

DTR and DSR are connected together with the WiModem232.  DSR follows DTR.  So, when DTR goes high, so will DSR.  I am not sure how DTR/DSR would need to be set (in place of RTS/CTS).

Why would a C64 require or work with a Wimodem only ?

as said, Cbase BBS on C64 with Swiftlink.

If i wouldnt have a working 9600 Baud setup for, hmmm lemme think 20 Years or so i could understand that i am inventing something new. But as this is used back in the Days and at current from many Cbase Sysops (also easyly reachable Info via goolge) my question shouldnt be that hard. anyways

Swiftlink is the RS232 Cartridge that allows me to connect a Modem up to 115Kbaud

https://www.commodoreserver.com/BlogEntr...8C7F408538

Cbase is the C64 BBS System for C64

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C*Base

I know what i recieved and what i want to use it for,else i wouldnt ask that :-)

So i am confused here too :-)In the Manul i read about the Hardware Flow Control (which i want to archieve) and the Jumper Pads. I have to cut DSR/CTS and DTR/RTS and not Bridge DSR/DTR

right ?
Ok, well nobody has ever tried to use the WiModem232 with a C64 system before, so that is where the confusion is. I have zero knowledge of how the Swiftlink works. I don't know what lines it supports, and what they are actually for. DTR/DSR is typically used to hang up the modem, not actual handshaking. At least it is on TI-99/4A, Apple II, and other systems. I know that there are some printers that do use DTR/DSR in place of RTS/CTS. I could not find the pinout for the Swiftlink.

The WiModem232 emulates a Hayes modem. So, you are going to have to experiment with the handshaking for it. The WiModem by default is setup to pass DTR to DSR and use RTS/CTS for handshaking.
(01-09-2018, 12:04 PM)admin Wrote: Ok, well nobody has ever tried to use the WiModem232 with a C64 system before, so that is where the confusion is.  I have zero knowledge of how the Swiftlink works.  I don't know what lines it supports, and what they are actually for.  DTR/DSR is typically used to hang up the modem, not actual handshaking.  At least it is on TI-99/4A, Apple II, and other systems.  I know that there are some printers that do use DTR/DSR in place of RTS/CTS.  I could not find the pinout for the Swiftlink.

The WiModem232 emulates a Hayes modem.  So, you are going to have to experiment with the handshaking for it.  The WiModem by default is setup to pass DTR to DSR and use RTS/CTS for handshaking.

Oh well serious ?

I provided all Info above :-)

Industry-standard interface: Swit'tLink-232has an "IBM-AT" style DB-9 serial connector so you can connect it to any standard modem or network link quickly and economically. AII five handshaking lines (DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS, & DCD) are supported.

But sadly this didnt answer my question, for Hardware Handshake do i generally need to cut the Pads and solder to DSR/CTS or DTR/RTS or solder them both.

that is the Point where i am unsure.

If i can enable with AT&K1 and then need to play around with different Solder combinations, thats okay, i just want to know if the DTR/DSR  needs to be cut in that case generally

Thx
A Hayes compatible modem only uses RTS/CTS for flow control, and DTR/DSR for its ready state (and to optionally hang up the modem).  This is because the industry standard is to use DTR to let the device know that the computer is ready, and DSR is used to let the computer know it is ready.  When you tie these together, then the computer will assert DTR and get the same response (back to itself).  RTS/CTS is used as the flow control.

The process is as follows:

Raise DTR to tell the modem that the computer is ready.  The modem in response raises DSR to tell the computer it is ready.  Then a connection can be made, using either "RING" as the identifier to answer the call, or the state of the RI line to identify when a call is coming in.  Once the call is answered, DCD is used to determine when the call has been terminated by the modem.  That's it.  So, technically, to run a BBS you don't need to change any jumper settings from how the WiModem232 is delivered.

If you are not going to use RTS/CTS then ALL 3 connections need to be cut (RTS, CTS, and DTR/DSR) and follow the instructions in the manual.