WiModem232 and ProTERM 3.1 for Apple II
I will try Hayes Smart Modem 9600 driver to see why it won't dial, but if the generic 9600 driver works then that's all we need.  Did you test with the latest firmware I released tonight?

What is "unattended access mode"?
(01-29-2018, 08:53 PM)admin Wrote: I will try Hayes Smart Modem 9600 driver to see why it won't dial, but if the generic 9600 driver works then that's all we need.  Did you test with the latest firmware I released tonight?

What is "unattended access mode"?

Just tried it with the new firmware - Generic 9600 still works fine but Hayes Smartmodem V9600 now won't initialize.  Agreed that all we need is the Generic 9600 Driver.

Unattended Access Mode is a remote access mode where ProTERM will answer an incoming call, ask for a password, display a welcome text file, and then allow users to upload & download files.  Very much like AE lines.  I haven't tried it out with the WiModem yet, but I will...
Ah... sort of a mini-BBS.

I will look at the Smart Modem 9600 driver. I think the initialization is failing because of the init string. If you clear the init string or use what is needed for the WiModem (E0V1X1&C1) then that should work.
I just looked at the default init string for the Smart Modem 9600 driver.  It has &K3 which is not supported, so it would generate an error and the remainder of the string would be invalid.  It also has W1 which is not supported and thus the remainder of the line would fail.  There is also S36 being used, which deals with a v.42 bis connection failure and that is not supported.

I am adding support for &k3 (which is the same as &K1) and I am adding support for ATWx so that it doesn't generate an ERROR when attempting to use it, but it won't actually do anything (like the speaker mode and volume level don't do anything).  I don't think I need to add support for S36 since it does not apply.

But... the actual reason why the Smart Modem 9600 driver is failing to initialize is that for some reason it is setting ProTERM's baud rate to 19200 - not 9600!  I am looking into that.
(01-28-2018, 10:16 AM)utcv Wrote: With Dura-Europos, most of the time ProTERM drops into Online mode after connection. When it does, Dura cannot detect my terminal emulation properly even though that is set in the Emulation entry on the Dial screen. Since Dura asks me during connection what kind of terminal I use, I will choose the proper one. Typically, I am using ProTERM Special. After I disconnect from the BBS gracefully ('T' for Terminal Connection at the BBS's main menu), ProTERM goes Offline properly.

In the case of Sanctum, the WiModem232 shows connected on the OLED display but ProTERM never goes online. It will sit there and re-dial forever. I can cancel and put myself online (option-T) and then interact with the BBS. Again, the emulation mode is set to ProTERM Special.

I just wanted to mention that I have a similar issue.  Proterm 3.1 somehow doesn't notice that we've successfully connected to Sanctum and I have to manually go into Online mode to actually interact.  Not sure if that's the fault of the modem or the software, though.  I also have the same problem you mentioned with Dura-Eurpos, it used to (but no longer) detects that I'm running Proterm Special emulation and I have to manually select it.  However, it's important to note that the Skip has been doing all kinds of stuff on his BBS lately including deploying new modem drivers and a 16 mhz accelerator, so those issues could be on his side rather than ours.

I find myself using Agate because just dialing from a raw terminal seems to be more reliable, and of course Agate has it's amazing ANSI emulation on an Apple 2, but I do miss the slick features of Proterm like the editor, scrollback, address book, macros, autologins, and Proterm special emulation.  If/when I find a way and/or a firmware update comes along that makes Proterm more reliable I'll go back to using it as my primary terminal program unless I happen to need to call an ANSI board.
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]
I have no problems connecting to either BBS.  I don't get the 'checking ANSI' anymore with Dura-Europos since the latest WiModem232 firmware update.  It just now asks if this is ProTERM when it connects.  Sanctum works fine from the auto dialer - connects and goes online.

With ProTERM 3.1, I am using the "Generic Fixed-Speed (RTS/CTS)" driver with the init string of ATX1&C1&K1.
(02-01-2018, 11:35 PM)admin Wrote: I have no problems connecting to either BBS.  I don't get the 'checking ANSI' anymore with Dura-Europos since the latest WiModem232 firmware update.  It just now asks if this is ProTERM when it connects.  Sanctum works fine from the auto dialer - connects and goes online.

With ProTERM 3.1, I am using the "Generic Fixed-Speed (RTS/CTS)" driver with the init string of ATX1&C1&K1.

What baud rate?

9600 baud
Okay, let me try it and see what I get. I'm curious what other settings are configured in the modem, I want to make sure mine is configured identically to yours. Maybe you could show us the and ADI1 output from the modem WiModem232 you're using so that I know I'm not introducing other issues?

I always use the default settings (AT&F if in doubt).