VERY Weak Reception
I received my wimodem a few days ago and while it does function, it doesn't receive wireless signals well at all. In order to get the unit connected, I have to use a cellular hotspot a few feet away from the wimodem.

There is an enterprise class Cisco AP downstairs with the wimodem, and a Ubiquiti AP upstairs. A scan should show both of those easily. The other EPS modules I own pick up both AP's without issue.

It's not an problem of overdriving the receiver as I've reduced the power on the Cisco to minimum with no change. I've also eliminated interference being the issue with another EPS module connected to the user port. The other modules find all relevant SSID's.

I am beginning to suspect a faulty EPS8266 on the unit. 

Any ideas Jim?
Type AT*N into a terminal and let me know what the signal strength shows for your router.  The signal strength should be -90dBm or lower.  It could be the location of your C64 and other devices around it are blocking the signal.

I have never seen an issue before when there is nothing blocking the signal.  These are extremely sensitive units.  You are welcome to return it for a replacement.  There is a lifetime warranty on all electronics I produce.
(07-10-2016, 04:49 PM)admin Wrote: Type AT*N into a terminal and let me know what the signal strength shows for your router.  The signal strength should be -90dBm or lower.  It could be the location of your C64 and other devices around it are blocking the signal.

I have never seen an issue before when there is nothing blocking the signal.  These are extremely sensitive units.  You are welcome to return it for a replacement.  There is a lifetime warranty on all electronics I produce.

Signal is fine. 

I updated firmware and played with the Cisco a little bit and got it working. What I had to do was to set the Cisco to N only mode and I was able to see the SSID's I was looking for. Once association completed I was able to to go back to g/n mixed mode and still get successful association.

I was able to replicate the same issue with the Ubiquiti AP with the same resolution. 

Association was also successful when I turned SSID broadcast back off. I wasn't able to get WPS to work, but it is evil anyway so no worries there. 

I also noticed missing SSID's on my other EPS modules when I was using older SDK files. I may backrev one of them and see if the same steps resolves my issue there too.

Thanks for the cool new toy!
I am currently using a very old SDK version with the WiModem. I had problems with the newer versions in some circumstances which turned out to be terminal software related. I probably should try using the latest and see what happens. Smile
(07-10-2016, 04:49 PM)admin Wrote: The signal strength should be -90dBm or lower.

When you say "lower" than -90, do you mean like -91, -100, etc.?
No, dBm works backwards. The higher the signal strength, the lower the value.
(07-28-2016, 10:14 PM)admin Wrote: No, dBm works backwards.  The higher the signal strength, the lower the value.

OK, what you are saying is that it's the |absolute| value that should be lower than 90; the actual number should be closer to 0 than -90 is.

Technically speaking, -91 is less than -90, but it's further from 0 than -90 is. That's why I asked.

http://opensignal.com/blog/forums/topic/...ve-number/ confirms that it's the absolute value that should be low. But http://stackoverflow.com/a/31869981/1364726 says that a "more positive" number means the transmitter is stronger, so it's a little confusing.
-36dBm is double the signal strength of -42dBm. Technically, the number IS getting more positive (towards 0).