Another thread about dumping diskette problems - SOLVED
These drives are the only ones I have found that actually need the jumper change. All of the other drives I have work without any changes required.
(12-31-2015, 07:08 AM)SomeGuy Wrote: It is good to hear that works. Not all 1.2mb drives have those jumper options, so at least you got the right drive for this job.

Ya, I noticed that from all my reading yesterday, that the drive I purchased required the jumper, and that others don't require it.  Was a real head scratcher for a while there.  Kinda glad I went through the process of figuring it out though, as I got to learn alot more about this hardware and how it works.  Was a real educational experience ending on a positive note.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Thomas
(12-31-2015, 08:08 AM)admin Wrote: These drives are the only ones I have found that actually need the jumper change. All of the other drives I have work without any changes required.
Well, my FD-55GFR 149-U didn't want to read data if it could not find an index. I don't recall any of the jumpers being anything that might correct that. I thought I also tried a Y-E data with the same results, but now I don't quite remember, it was a little while back.
Think I'm going to try to find myself another one of these drives (at least I'm familiar with them now). Would be nice to do a drive to drive copy. I'm assuming that's possible as it appears to be looking at the software.

Thomas
All of the drives in the compatibly list all read the back side of a disk. All of the various FD-55 drives (360K and 1.2MB) versions have no issues as long as you remember to disable the index requirement.
I can't believe how hard it is to find 5.25" drives. I used to have piles of the things... remember a time when they were worthless, and were treated as such. I just paid $50.00 USD for the one I have now! Guess these things had to go through their worthless stage before they became valuable again. Heh. Just happy that the one I dropped my money on turned out to be a good one, in good condition.

Hoping I can find another Panasonic JU-475-4 so I can have a dual drive for my SuperCard Pro. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Thomas
COREi64
The drive to drive option works fine, but I don't recommend it.  The reason why is that you are reading from one drive alignment and storing that data on another drive alignment.  If either of the drives are, or become, slightly out of alignment, it's a pain to figure out why you can't copy something.  You are better off staying with a single drive for reads/writes.  Get a backup drive if you can find one.  The ONLY advantage of using two drives at the same time is disk swaps.  The copy time is identical.
(01-03-2016, 08:49 AM)admin Wrote: The drive to drive option works fine, but I don't recommend it.  The reason why is that you are reading from one drive alignment and storing that data on another drive alignment.  If either of the drives are, or become, slightly out of alignment, it's a pain to figure out what you can't copy something.  You are better off staying with a single drive for reads/writes.  Get a backup drive if you can find one.  The ONLY advantage of using two drives at the same time is disk swaps.  The copy time is identical.

Thanks for your insight on this.  Makes sense.  

Thomas
COREi64