Simple Flux Archive of all my Disks
I don't have a 1541 to test my splice captures with-- is there any way that a possible feature can be implemented later on in SCP that helps detect bad GCR on disks overall without doing a destructive media test?

That feature would be helpful on a bunch of disks without copy protection that are mastered in a way that the Index capture mode doesn't like.
The only way to know if GCR is bad is by comparing to known good data. The easiest way is to make a GCR decoder - like a .g64 to .d64 converter.

I am working on this right now actually because I need this for the uDrive. I have been manually converting disks from .d64 format to .g64 and using that data for uDrive. I need to be able to convert tracks on the fly now (instead of the entire disk). So, that will be added to the SCP library functions.
(03-14-2018, 07:17 PM)admin Wrote: The only way to know if GCR is bad is by comparing to known good data.  The easiest way is to make a GCR decoder - like a .g64 to .d64 converter.

I am working on this right now actually because I need this for the uDrive.  I have been manually converting disks from .d64 format to .g64 and using that data for uDrive.  I need to be able to convert tracks on the fly now (instead of the entire disk).  So, that will be added to the SCP library functions.

Thats Great Jim 8-)

Especially if it leads to us being able to produce a .d64 or .d71 from a SPLICE mode created flux image. There are a tonne of tools we can use on the C64/128 to check the end product with  Big Grin

Yay!
Regards...GeoKM
ooooOOOOoooo
You can always produce a .g64 image from a SPLICE mode created flux image with the SCP software, and then use a .g64 to .d64 converter on the PC (like OpenCBM).
(03-15-2018, 10:57 AM)admin Wrote: You can always produce a .g64 image from a SPLICE mode created flux image with the SCP software, and then use a .g64 to .d64 converter on the PC (like OpenCBM).

Hi Jim,

Well I recon something sinister must be going on because nothing I do seems to produce a recognisable .g64 (recognisable by nibscan) I have tried INDEX mode originals and SPLICE mode Data disks, both C64 and C128.

Yet I know the Disks are OK because I have created good D64 & D71 images of them using other CBM4WIN based tools and tested them. And the resultant images scan ok with nibscan.

Also I know the 5 1/4 inch drive is OK because it Creates good flux images of IBM disks which I can check in HxC OK, as well as use it to create TRS-80 boot disks using trstools.

So very very strange. It seems I just can't do GCR disks with this drive??? Does that sound possible?

Its a 96TPI 1.2MB Panasonic JU-475-4.

Any thoughts?

Sad
Regards...GeoKM
ooooOOOOoooo
That's the same drive I use, so it's not a drive issue. It could be that the SPLICE routine is just not working correctly for your disks. It's really not very good for CBM disks. Any disk that is index aligned would always work. You could create a .g64 and try it in WinVICE to confirm the .g64 is good or not.
.g64 conversion can't tolerate the American disk release of Mastertronic's Mind Control when it comes to SPLICE captures. If I recall, all the tracks are index aligned. This was on both a Mitsumi D503 drive and a D509 drive.

However, and not surprisingly, INDEX captures do work and successfully convert to .g64.
Most all commercial disks were created on duplication machines that used the INDEX pulse to start/stop the tracks. It's only actual user data disks where the problem with the .g64 conversion exists.
Yes, but I am stating problems where this is the exception, in which .g64 conversion problems occur even if the capture is good for commercial disks; a .g64 of Mind Control from a SPLICE capture at five revolutions gives me the directory tracks but loading results in a "FILE NOT FOUND" error.

I think the rest of my disks are just being a bunch of germs. Defcon 5 and Chessmaster 2000 just won't seem to scan right in both modes, for example; the former gives me a garbage directory listing of random characters. Degrading media, perhaps.
A capture of Mind Control with INDEX mode should work fine.  Mind Control was commercially produced and uses the INDEX pulse to start/stop the tracks.  I have Defcon 5 and Chessmaster 2000 and they are also INDEX aligned.