Bug reports
I was using those options on the flux data since I had an extra noise bit creep in that I wanted to remove.

But yes, insert does work. Just tested it again. Insert a few flux transitions, and you'll see the changes in the GCR window, and when you come back to the flux window, the additions are still there.
Hmmm. Looks like I forgot to remove the debug code. That should not ever work.
Tried out the new disk utilities and noticed an oddity. Tried erasing a track on a 5.25" disk and then reading that track in the analyzer. You can't read it properly. It seems to hang and then return an FTDI error. The track can be fixed by overwriting it again with the "test disk" option.

What does erase do to the track? Create a no-flux-area for an entire revolution?
Yes, it does... but that does not work for 5.25" drives, only 3.5" drives. So, it should not be a problem to read it with the analyzer. I can read disks no problem. The analyzer can read strongbits (no flux areas) on disks, and shows them in red.
I found a 5.25" drive that exhibits the issue you stated, so I have something I can use to debug the issue.