Simple G64 creation
Hello again,

I have sent some example .scp files to the data@... address for you to cast your eyes over,
You need to use SPLICE mode when imaging any disk that was not created using the index pulse as the start/stop reference. As mentioned before, you will not be able to create .g64 images from any disk that is not index referenced. However, you will be able to make working disks as long as you captured the disk using SPLICE mode.
Thanks for that info... I've made an exact working copy of a data disk, using SPLICE, and later using INDEX, managed to get a commercial disk from your .g64 converted to a .d64 (using some tool I got from the web) which actually loaded into an emulator.

Eventually the emulator crashed but the original disk has errors too I think. Oddly, the emulator (winvice) wouldn't accept the straight .g64 file but it was purely an academic exercise.

thanks for your patience

any news on the g64->d64 converter?
No news... I have not had a chance to work on it since before the holiday. I do need to make changes to the flux -> .g64 converter first though, and that is what I was working on.
yeah back at work here too... Sad

that's great, it'd make a very complete product useful for all cases of copying and emulation - especially for when the old units start to break down and virtual 8 bit micros is all that is left. Hopefully my collection will go on a little longer though!
Any news on this? I finally got my 5,25" disk drive up and running, but when I make disks to G64 with my SuperCard Pro, Vice64 3.0a wont read the G64 file. It just says empty and no data free.
Oh... I tried with a different disk and some different settings, this time with index mode, wipe tracks and half tracks on, and I can read it in Vice Big Grin

edit: Well, it can load the index, Vice cannot see it itself. But seems nothing on the disk actually loads, but that might be regular disk corruption
Have you cleaned the heads of the drive you are using to make the image? Because the disks are so old the oxide is coming off of them, and it sticks to the head. I find that I have to clean the heads just about every time I dump a disk.
That might be it, but wont I need to take the drive apart quite a bit to clean its head?

I have gotten one disk dumped where I could load it partially. It was Champions of Krynn Disk 1 side 1, it can load to the place where you chose to use fast loader or not, then it gets stuck at sector 18 like pretty much everything else, unless there is a "file not found" error.

I can usually load the list of disk files though. I do have an old C64 5,25" cleaning disk. Not sure what kind of fluid it need or how to run it though.
You should use that disk cleaner.  You put alcohol on it and put it in the drive and make the drive spin.  SuperCard Pro's Utilities menu has the ability to spin the drive motor for cleaning.

Have you tested this disk in a 1541 drive with a C64?