Installation on Win7 x64?
Tried installing SCP on Win7 x64, as administrator. Attempting to launch scp.exe gives a runtime error '53', file not found FTD2xx.dll.

Which in and of itself is strange, because the FTD driver for x64 systems is FTD2xx64.dll. But, the install package installed both x32 and x64 versions, but it still can't find the file and completely fails to run.

Questions:
1. Does the scp software *require* the supercard pro to be connected to run at all?

2. Is the "Disk Analyzer" included in this package? Or is it coming later, or...?

Thanks!
Robert
You don't need the SCP board to use the software. Make sure you run the installer in administrator mode by right-clicking on the installer application and select "Run As Admnstrator". The SCP.exe program will not run without the complete installer being ran because there are several support files that need to be installed and registered for it to work. Once the installer has been ran, you can then download just the SCP.exe app and copy it to the proper folder and use it.

The analyzer and copier are contained in the same application.

You can use the analyzer to read and view g64 and MNIB files.
One other note, make sure you install the SCP files to the proper 'Program Files' directory for the OS (32 bit or 64 bit) that you are using, otherwise you will end up with "file not found" errors for the FTDI files.
(11-04-2013, 10:58 PM)admin Wrote: One other note, make sure you install the SCP files to the proper 'Program Files' directory for the OS (32 bit or 64 bit) that you are using, otherwise you will end up with "file not found" errors for the FTDI files.

Same issue I had with Windows 8.1 x64 - RJ - look at the Windows 8 installation tip. The solution is there.
(11-04-2013, 07:41 PM)RJMcInty Wrote: Tried installing SCP on Win7 x64, as administrator. Attempting to launch scp.exe gives a runtime error '53', file not found FTD2xx.dll.

Which in and of itself is strange, because the FTD driver for x64 systems is FTD2xx64.dll. But, the install package installed both x32 and x64 versions, but it still can't find the file and completely fails to run.

Questions:
1. Does the scp software *require* the supercard pro to be connected to run at all?

2. Is the "Disk Analyzer" included in this package? Or is it coming later, or...?

Thanks!
Robert

I setup a Windows 7 x64 (SP1 with all the updates) machine and was unable to reproduce this error. However, Robert you may try the same commands as I mentioned in the Windows 8/8.1 installation fix with the file you're having issues with. Please let us know if that helped or how you resolved the issue.
I ran into this problem today installing the software on my laptop which is Win7 64-bit.

The problem is the USB drivers don't get fully installed until you plug in the SCP. Once you do that, Windows says it is installing drivers, and it moves everything to the right place, it seems. Then the software works and you don't need the board plugged in to launch it after that.

So as it stands, yes, you need the SCP board before you can get the software to work. Maybe if the driver file is manually copied to the correct directory it will work without the board?
(12-22-2013, 08:35 PM)LordCrass Wrote: I ran into this problem today installing the software on my laptop which is Win7 64-bit.

Maybe if the driver file is manually copied to the correct directory it will work without the board?

Yes, your assessment is correct. I had noted a workaround in this thread, but Jim edited the forum to remove it shortly after I posted it. I'll give it again, and hope that it sticks around this time.

You can temporarily copy the FTD2xx.dll to the SCP install directory, where the SCP software can find it, until the drivers are installed completely after connecting the hardware the first time.

Good luck!
Robert
I have never seen this with any Win8 machines. You don't need the hardware to complete the driver installation which is the 2nd half of the installer. The only issue I have seen is with Win8 missing some resources used by Visual Studio.

I will leave the information here in case it helps someone.
Yeah, on Windows the driver install process is (in brief):

1. User installs the driver package, which just stages the drivers for full installation when hardware is connected
2. When hardware that isn't recognized is connected, the OS looks for possible drivers, and finds the drivers that were staged in step 1
3. The OS completes the installation of the drivers from the staging location to the active driver location

I think that what's happening here is that, regardless of what mode (admin, etc.) you install/run in, if you start the SCP software after installing but before actually plugging the hardware in, you're going to hit this situation.

As an end user, I think you've got 2 ways to deal with this:
- Plug in the hardware and complete the driver loading before starting the software
- Manually put the required file where the SCP software can find it

As an application developer, you've also got 2 choices:
- Gracefully recognize the lack of required drivers, and offer appropriately degraded functionality
- Just bail out and deal with the support issues as they come up

It *may* be that on Win 8 the FTDI drivers are already installed, or you're on a machine that's already had them installed for some other piece of hardware, or previous SCP install, or some other thing. But, I can repro this 100% on a clean install of Win 7.

Some interesting details:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx

Cheers,
Robert
I will chat with FTDI about this because they have gone out of their way to make sure that their driver doesn't have this issue. This USE to be an issue with WinXP/Vista/7 and was fixed (according to my other customers it was). The problem was that if you didn't have the hardware and Windows did not finish the driver, there was no way to continue gracefully with limited functionality because simply trying to Open() the driver would invoke a system error.

Where (exactly) are you putting the FTD2xx.dll to resolve this issue? I could always just have the installer put a copy of it where ever it is needed to eliminate this from ever happening if that fixes the issue.

Thanks!