Questions - Before Purchase
I've read most of the postings on the forum, I've not found a FAQ, and I still have
unanswered questions. Will you please answer these questions, so I know enough
to make my purchase?

1. Is the SDCARD used for the Image Storage, or is the Image transfered via USB
to Host Computer?
2. What is the MAX GB Size of SDCARD that is supported?
3. What Class SDCARD should be used?
4. Is the SDCARD Included with Purchase? (Nothing in Manual about Size of SDCARD,
Speed Class, or MAX Capacity?)

I'll be backing up 5.25" floppy's from TRS-80 Model 4 (Montezuma Micro CP/M Ver 2.23),
Ampro Little Board (CP/M ver 2.2), Kaypro II (CP/M Ver 2.2) and all are 48 TPI, DS DD
40 Track Floppy's. (The TRS-80 Floppy's are Tandon TM 100-1, and Kaypro are Tandon
TM-100-2, and I've got some Teac 5.25" 360K Drives in my Kaypro II). I also have a
TEAC 5.25" 1.2 PC Floppy that I can/will use.

5. Should I use a PC style Floppy to make my Images, or should I remove and use a
Floppy from the Original System? (The TRS-80 doesn't use Pins 2 /REDWC, 4, 6,
14 /DRVSA, & 34 /DSKCHG on their Floppy Drives.) What is the BEST type Floppy to
use with your SuperCard Pro?

6. What Image Format is best format to save my preserved floppy's in? I can't find any
information on the Forum, or in the Manual, with a listing of the possible Image Formats.
Likewise, I can install the SCP Software in XP, but can't execute it because of a FTDI
error, because the Drivers haven't finished loading and setting up..................
Run Time Error 53 -- File not found: FTD2XX.DLL

7. Can I duplicate a Floppy, by just using a single Floppy Drive (A: to A:), or must I have two
Floppy's (A: to B:) to make a Duplicate Copy? "Disk to Disk" in the Manual doesn't tell me
much without a unit to test with.

8. Can a Cable with conductors 10 thru 14 be used (instead of the standard PC 10 thru 16)
to preserve Pin 16 which is Motor Enable for All Drives?
16-->............../MOTEA & B.............0=Motor Enable for All Drives

9. Is there anything else I need to know to be able to preserve CP/M Floppys, and be able to
write them back to Floppy's? CP/M information is somewhat scarce on the Forum.

Also, there is a typo in the manual (HOW TO COPY/IMAGE DISKS):
If you plan to make images of your disks for safe keeping, the process is the
same as copying, except and image is selected as the Target Device.

same as copying, except an image is selected as the Target Device.

Thanks.

Larry
(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: I've read most of the postings on the forum, I've not found a FAQ, and I still have
unanswered questions. Will you please answer these questions, so I know enough
to make my purchase?

1. Is the SDCARD used for the Image Storage, or is the Image transfered via USB
to Host Computer?
2. What is the MAX GB Size of SDCARD that is supported?
3. What Class SDCARD should be used?
4. Is the SDCARD Included with Purchase? (Nothing in Manual about Size of SDCARD,
Speed Class, or MAX Capacity?)

A SD card is currently not being used by SuperCard Pro. The SD card will be used when the drive emulation firmware is released (like HxC). It supports up to 32GB cards, any class. No SD card is included.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: I'll be backing up 5.25" floppy's from TRS-80 Model 4 (Montezuma Micro CP/M Ver 2.23),
Ampro Little Board (CP/M ver 2.2), Kaypro II (CP/M Ver 2.2) and all are 48 TPI, DS DD
40 Track Floppy's. (The TRS-80 Floppy's are Tandon TM 100-1, and Kaypro are Tandon
TM-100-2, and I've got some Teac 5.25" 360K Drives in my Kaypro II). I also have a
TEAC 5.25" 1.2 PC Floppy that I can/will use.

5. Should I use a PC style Floppy to make my Images, or should I remove and use a
Floppy from the Original System? (The TRS-80 doesn't use Pins 2 /REDWC, 4, 6,
14 /DRVSA, & 34 /DSKCHG on their Floppy Drives.) What is the BEST type Floppy to
use with your SuperCard Pro?

There is no need to remove your drive. I have made backups of all of my TRS-80 disks with a standard PC floppy drive. There is a list of tested drives in the HARDWARE section here in the forums. The "best" drive is one that is cleaned and aligned, and passes the media integrity test. Just remember to use the correct type of disk when making copies. Although can write an image successfully to a high density (DSHD) disk, that disk will not work in a low density (DSDD) drive.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: 6. What Image Format is best format to save my preserved floppy's in? I can't find any
information on the Forum, or in the Manual, with a listing of the possible Image Formats.
Likewise, I can install the SCP Software in XP, but can't execute it because of a FTDI
error, because the Drivers haven't finished loading and setting up..................
Run Time Error 53 -- File not found: FTD2XX.DLL

There is only one format, and that is flux (*.scp).

You either need the SCP board, or already have had a device that uses a FTDI USB chip. Otherwise, you would need to register the .DLL.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: 7. Can I duplicate a Floppy, by just using a single Floppy Drive (A: to ASmile, or must I have two
Floppy's (A: to BSmile to make a Duplicate Copy? "Disk to Disk" in the Manual doesn't tell me
much without a unit to test with.

As stated in the manual, you can make disk copies A: to A: or via images.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: 8. Can a Cable with conductors 10 thru 14 be used (instead of the standard PC 10 thru 16)
to preserve Pin 16 which is Motor Enable for All Drives?
16-->............../MOTEA & B.............0=Motor Enable for All Drives

As stated in the manual, you must use a standard 34 pin floppy drive cable.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: 9. Is there anything else I need to know to be able to preserve CP/M Floppys, and be able to
write them back to Floppy's? CP/M information is somewhat scarce on the Forum.

It's scarce because there is nothing to know... select copy and use INDEX mode for all CP/M type disks. That's it.

(07-01-2014, 04:53 AM)ldkraemer Wrote: Also, there is a typo in the manual (HOW TO COPY/IMAGE DISKS):
same as copying, except and image is selected as the Target Device.

same as copying, except an image is selected as the Target Device.

Thanks... I will correct that!
Thanks, I've placed my order.

I can't wait until it arrives.

Larry
WOW, order arrived this morning via USPS. FAST SERVICE!

I opened the package and plugged in the Floppy Cable, and USB Cable. I re-read the
Manual, and connected the 5.25" Floppy drive.

Things that worked PERFECT:
1. Software Install
2. Software - EASE of USE
3. Copying A: to A: to make a Backup CP/M Floppy
4. Creating a SCP File from Floppy for Storage on Hard Drive (Preservation File)

The Copy of my CP/M Boot floppy booted PERFECT, and the Software executed properly,
ie. pip, nsweep, nulu12, cpy, & d.

Now, I just have one last question. The "BOOTFILE.SCP" (Kaypro II Boot Floppy SSDD 48 TPI) that was created is on my XP Drive,
and I'd like to know how that SCP Image be used to recreate or reproduce some image file, or floppy that I can access with my Kaypro II,
or cpmtools with Linux, or Imagedisk (imd118) with DOS 7.1, or some other software to be able to access the files years from now?
If I copy the .SCP Image to a Blank Floppy, a Kaypro II (SSDD 48 TPI) formatted floppy or a Kaypro IV (DSDD 48 TPI) formatted floppy
they don't boot. Every thing I've tried so far hasn't worked.

I'm so close to having exactly what I need, if I could get this last question answered about being able to convert the SCP file and write a
Floppy or file for direct access.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

THANKS.

Larry
SCP makes copies and flux image files of original disks. It does not create image files that are usable with emulations for any disk types except Amiga and C64. You should use SAMDisk or the HxC floppy emulator software to make an image for CP/M emulators.